Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install one of those modern units that looks similar to stock in the dash. I was going to do the full stealth amps with hidden jack Ipod thing but really just prefer being able to turn knobs. My biggest questions are in regard to speaker options.

My current plan is to put a mid driver on each side of the trans tunnel, up under the dash, but pointed toward the corresponding door. Then, I have a set of 1" component tweeters that I'll tuck under the outer corners of the dash. I'll position them so they're not noticeable from outside the car, but still have a straight shot at your ears when seated.

Anyone run the original dash speaker location, with a modern stereo speaker set? Does it give you enough stereo spread? I'm a musician and recording engineer so I'm really after something that mimics the monitors in a studio as far as left to right separation goes. Maybe mids up there instead of under the dash?

Lastly, any stealth rear speaker options/ideas? I want rear sound too, but don't like the package tray look, and again, am trying to hide the fact it has a nice system. It will have a sub in the trunk so I don't need a bunch of low end from the main speakers so they can be small.

·
Premium Member
5,601 Posts
My setup is along those lines. 3-1/2" in the kick panels (angled to the driver), 4x6" in the center dash, amp in the trunk and 10" woofer next to a tail light. The woofer sounds great (nondirectional) back there.

I had to put bass blockers to the 3-1/2"s because they were distorting at volume. That required the 4x6" to cover the mid range. The 4x6 was too loud so I added a resistor. Unfortunately, even though the dashboard vinyl mostly covers the speaker (vinyl has holes in it), I find the central location diminishes separation.

Before you go with the in-dash head unit, think about how many wires you are going to have and how much room you will need. I made a console and needed just about all the space in there for the wires, resistors, RCA cables and molex connectors.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The in dash unit is already a go. I have loads of room and am not worried about wires. On the 4x6 dash, I could see it diminishing stereo because it is only one speaker. I'm talking about 2 small speakers arranged to fit that opening.

I'm also thinking about making an angled insert that allows the speakers to face more left and right to reflect the stereo imaging off the glass. It just seems like the sound would be better up high like that than under the dash. Good idea on the bass blockers.

Anyone else use the stock speaker location, but with a true 2 speaker setup?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Someone makes a stereo speaker for the centre dash location. I've seen it on a bunch of sites, but I expect it is only for low power applications. I recall it having a single woofer cone with two tweeters angled to the sides. If you can find an image of that unit it may give you ideas for how to make something better suited to your intentions.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I've seen it. I'm also aware of the one that has 2 separate left and right speakers, maybe 3" each. I have no problem with figuring out what to make, just wanted to know if anyone has used the latter of the 2 styles mentioned, and how well it disperses the left and right differences.

I might just buy some 3" drivers and go for it. Worst case scenario I stick them under the dash instead.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I cut a panel the size of the original speaker and inserted two, I believe Kenwood 3" speakers. I am not a aficionado or anything, it seems to me it was an improvement but the separation is minimal. I have also found I can not push those little speakers too hard, broke two almost right away, in my opinion they are only good to fill in that dead area when you only have rear speakers. I use a small sub-woofer which really brings that thing to life, doesn't take up much room either.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I actually just install an aftermarket radio and single center speaker from Rodtiques. The speaker I purchase was the dual 80 watt, it comes ready to install and connects to your left and right front speaker wires. They also carry a 140 watt. The sound is decent not great but i didnt want to make holes anywhere in the car. I have a 1963 convert so I am thinking about maybe putting a box behind the back seat. Just have to see how much room I have with top down. Honestly,with you being in the music business I wouldnt reccomend the 80watt, cannt really give you advice in the 140 watt.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the consensus is that the center location pretty much sucks for stereo imaging. I think I'll just do some 3" drivers under the dash as far left and right as i can get them, and the tweeters where I mentioned. I'll put some bass blockers on the 3's if need be, the sub will fill in the lows.

Any ideas for the rear? Again, stealth only ideas.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Don't know if you're going for a total stock car look or a modded car look, but you could consider door speakers (along with F/R speakers), if you have the space and are OK wth cutting a hole in the panels.

But, it can be a PITA.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I really don't want to cut anything, or have any aftermarket speakers visible from outside the car during normal "walkarounds". That's why I'm planning on hiding the fronts somewhere under the dash. I thought about some upward pointing rear speakers under the front seats.

I'm not as concerned about sound quality for the rears, that's just for the kids in the back seat to be able to hear a little better. But again, they will need to be hidden somehow.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
No, I really don't want to cut anything, or have any aftermarket speakers visible from outside the car during normal "walkarounds". That's why I'm planning on hiding the fronts somewhere under the dash. I thought about some upward pointing rear speakers under the front seats.

I'm not as concerned about sound quality for the rears, that's just for the kids in the back seat to be able to hear a little better. But again, they will need to be hidden somehow.
Sure, understood, but since I installed my door speakers back when the car was a still Galaxie 500 with turquoise side panels, I have never heard anyone say anything about the speaker grilles being aftermarket

Even when it became a 500XL, not even those who knew what a 500XL was ever said anything. There were times when talking with those guys about the 500/500XL conversion, I pointed out the interior work changes along with the speakers.

Partly, I think it's because, coming from a 73 Mustang door kit, it really matches the panels, and by cutting the chrome door trim to meet the grille, it almost looks "factory".

Almost.

As for speaker quality, I have Tinnutus (ear screeching/ringing), so high quality speakers are no longer an issue. Can't play loud music.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For me it's not about the car value, or a restoration thing. Other areas are not fully stock, nor will be the stereo head unit. Just a "thing" I have with this car. Almost like a time capsule effort. Even though there will be a few modern updates, I want to hide most of them, so visually it seems stock.

For example, it has an aftermarket tach under the dash, and had a trio gauge set. I pulled the trio, and am making a set back mount for the tach so I can flip it up under the dash for normal driving, but have it available for tuning, or if I ever give the drag strip a go.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
For me it's not about the car value, or a restoration thing. Other areas are not fully stock, nor will be the stereo head unit. Just a "thing" I have with this car. Almost like a time capsule effort. Even though there will be a few modern updates, I want to hide most of them, so visually it seems stock.

For example, it has an aftermarket tach under the dash, and had a trio gauge set. I pulled the trio, and am making a set back mount for the tach so I can flip it up under the dash for normal driving, but have it available for tuning, or if I ever give the drag strip a go.
We're in complete "time capsule" agreement.

The only items on my Gal that aren't vintage 1964 are the front speakers, the replacement AF/FM cassette radio (which needs replacement), chrome exhaust tips, license plate frames, and some underhood chrome dress up.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Sounds like the consensus is that the center location pretty much sucks for stereo imaging. I think I'll just do some 3" drivers under the dash as far left and right as i can get them, and the tweeters where I mentioned. I'll put some bass blockers on the 3's if need be, the sub will fill in the lows.

Any ideas for the rear? Again, stealth only ideas.
My car had no speakers because it was a radio delete car, but I installed some 4 X 10's in the stock location in the rear package tray. They are underneath, just as originals would have been, so you cannot see the Alpine logo. These are two way speakers and I have always thought they sounded pretty good. A sub woofer would make a difference, so maybe someday.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My car had no speakers because it was a radio delete car, but I installed some 4 X 10's in the stock location in the rear package tray. They are underneath, just as originals would have been, so you cannot see the Alpine logo. These are two way speakers and I have always thought they sounded pretty good. A sub woofer would make a difference, so maybe someday.
So they are under the package tray? Doesn't that make them really muffled sounding?

·
Registered
134 Posts
A friend has a ChevyII has a package shelf with small holes where the rear speakers are it sounds good and you can't really tell it has speakers. I'm not sure anybody makes one for Galaxies though but I'd like one for my 62. My 62 has radio delete plate with Sony remote controled radio under the seat 6x9's, on rear shelf, and two 4" speakers in the original speaker grill and it sounds good.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
So they are under the package tray? Doesn't that make them really muffled sounding?
They are in the factory locations, so the factory took care of the "letting the sound out". The perforations were there even if the speakers were not. The tray has a mesh link cover, so you don't really even see the speaker locations.

·
Super Moderator
21,529 Posts
anybody ever install speakers in the rear of a convertible. wondering if they would work behind the back seat.
Problem with the convertible is even if you fashion a rigid base that attaches on the underside of the package tray you won't hear them once the top is down and covers them up. I hear my sub in the trunk, better so when top is up but never figured out how to go about rear speakers unless they were mounted in the armrest sections or under the front of the rear seat. There is the area for a single speaker on the XL but then it's only one speaker unless a person put 2 really small speakers side by side there. Guess back then music wasn't as prominent as it is today.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts