Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is prolly a dumb question but ill ask anyways do i have to have a vacum line running to my modulator?

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
If you want auto shifts you do... Without it the 1-2 shift will be late,2-3 shift will need 60+mph to shift.No vacuum also will give banging downshifts way before they should.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gregaust on 10/13/06 4:33pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
the vacuum tube that runs from the intake manifold to the vacuum modulator is typically a dealer item. You can find them in wrecking yards if they keep any cars old enough to have them.
Short of that you can make one using 1/4" brake or fuel line.
It must be securely attached at the firewall or back of the engine. It uses a short piece of hose to connect to the nipple in the intake manifold and another molded 90 elbow rubber hose at the modulator. It has a clip to secure it to the transmission. You cannot use a hose to replace the metal tube. It should plug into the manifold plenum chamber (the open area under the carb) to provide the best vacuum signal possible to the modulator. It should run as straight as possible with any necessary bends having a long radius and as little angle as possible. you can check the line to make sure you are getting a good vacuum signal with the finished product by connecting it to a direct reading vacuum gauge (no dampner) and with the engine running check to make sure that the vacuum responds immediately to changes in throttle position. The vacuum should drop quickly when the throttle is snapped open and return to the idle vacuum when it closes.
Paul
I should have added that it MUST be a one piece unit. you should not use connectors to put multiple pieces together.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaulS1950 on 10/13/06 6:22pm ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts