Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased Monroe 33053 shocks from a local NAPA store to replace the old Gabriel Stryder shocks (below). The Monroe shocks were a direct swap in the rear. But in the front the Monroe shocks do not have the same upper mount as the Gabriel - the Monroe is a straight threaded rod and one nut. The '64 Falcon shock tower requires two bolts, just like the Gabriel upper mount.

The guys at the NAPA store are no help, I called Monroe's support line and waited on hold for 20 minutes.

I could fab an adapter, but it seems like there ought to be a correct Monroe part out there. Does anybody know if any Monroe shock (or any brand) has an upper mount like the Gabriel shock?

Gabriel Stryder.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well a little more research answered my question; the Monroe 33053 will fit a Fairlane, but not a Falcon. I need a front shock for a '65 Mustang, like a KYB 343146 (below) or similar.

Maybe this info will help someone else.

Kyb 343146.jpg

·
Registered
1964 Falcon Futura 2dr
7 Posts
Well a little more research answered my question; the Monroe 33053 will fit a Fairlane, but not a Falcon. I need a front shock for a '65 Mustang, like a KYB 343146 (below) or similar.

Maybe this info will help someone else.

View attachment 165841
Pretty sure falcons only came with the straight shaft. Somebody probably added the mustang shocks+caps at some point.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You and J_van 64 are both right. Someone has changed the shock tower caps on your car to the Mustang type- they're interchangeable. Here's the Mustang vs. the '64 Falcon caps:

s-l400.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts