Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That is the thing to do. Print out the thread, the archived articles related pages and put them in a binder. No fighting with old links or whatever.
Of course loading all that info onto a CD would be really slick...

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
This seemed appropriate for this thread: I put the new TCI servo in today. I had to pull the valve body to make sure that everything engaged OK (whata mess). It went together easy. The cover is a killer billet deal - extra heavy duty.

The only thing not really covered in the long post is band adjustments. Any specifics as related to performance? Or is the Ford recommendation the standard?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hey, I checked all over and was only able to find one reply.
Mario428 posted that he noticed a comment about adjusting the int. band to 1 3/4 turns. He said he runs his at 1 1/4 for best 3rd gear shift. He also said that the instructions for a PA brake valve body specify 1 turn total.
That help?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
At the risk of being a PITA, I updated the monster post with the recent discussion about five clutch reverse/high drums. Some new info there, so I am shamelessly hoisting this thing to the top.

·
Registered
4 Posts
c4 clearance I would like your opinion's on the total clearance you run on the input shaft when running a trans-brake. I noticed no one talks much about clearances and they are so important. Thanks Wayne

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
On 2003-04-13 02:21, flynsolo wrote:

c4 clearance I would like your opinion's on the total clearance you run on the input shaft when running a trans-brake. I noticed no one talks much about clearances and they are so important. Thanks Wayne
I thought that was in there but generally I think everyone runs as little as possible. I put in thicker ones until the tranny binds and back off one thickness. End play is very important, you are right about that.
Remember the small selective does the geartrain and the large one on the pump does the clutches. Both are important. Do the small one first and then the large.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I updated the monster post again with recent discussion and info on most every topic. I reorganized it and created a contents section which should make it easier to use. Some new info there, so I am shamelessly hoisting this thing to the top.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Awesome info! Now if I can just locate a shop that has one of those magnetic chuck surface grinders to do my pressure plates....hmmmm.Thanks again for going through all this trouble!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for your input on this board keep it up so all of us novices can learn from the pros....Great stuff.I'm new to the forum and just getting back into the game,thats what happens when your sons turn 18 and 20 and you tell old war stories now its their turn,and dad is put on the spot to help.We're in the middle of a 5.0 swap into a ranger and just picked up a c-4 for a $100.00 {doap7006-0}{doap7d027-a}{pefd doopra20 tag #} is this the 70' 26 x 26 spline you guys we're talking about and if so what mods/kits should we put in it.It'll be street/strip appox 350 hp,and we'd like to be able to increse hp down the road any help would be great. thanks mas sr

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
Werlcome to the board.The doap is a casting code and is not necessarily the build date.Have a look adjacent to the shift linkage there are a couple of smaall cast discs with the month and year.The 70 26x26 c4's are fairly rare.Just check your input shaft to know for sure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I checked the discs one saids 29 the other saids 69 over a 12,which I would guess means 12/29/69.The tranny came out of a 1970 montero.It looks like It was rebuild or at least serviced in the past and the guy I bought it from said it ran perfect,it was on a 351.The torque converter end of the input shaft is 26 spline, we won't know what the other end is without pulling it apart ,not that it really matters at this point. What kit would you guys suggest or other mods based on this info. Thanks for your help, Mike Sr

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll give it a shot. Incase your thinking it,Yes I am a novice when it comes to transmissions thanks for your help. Mas Sr

21 - 40 of 77 Posts