Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'd rebuild it and run it. At that power level you should be good to go with a decent rebuild and a shift kit. If you want to prep for a bit more power, go with the Red Eagle frictions and call it a day. I wouldn't bother to rollerize it or to do the oiling mods (one guy's humble opinion.)
Even though the 26x26 is a rarity, it doesn't matter. Run it. The convertor end is the same as the later 26x24 so the later 26 spline convertors all work.
Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can you give me the rebuild kit/shift kit and red eagle #'s or type of kits and a recomendation as to where to get them. Also I have the factory torque converter but no flex plate. Any recomendations on ether? Will the factory starter work with it? Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Spend a little time on www.bulkpart.com and it will be worth your while. Email me and I'll send you an excel spreadsheet with all the numbers on it. The master kit with Red Eagle frictions was (by now it may be a diff price) $64 and the part number is HP25005R. Master kit includes paper gaskets, rubber lip seals, O rings, pan gasket, metal clad seals, sealing ring kit, friction clutch plates and steel clutch plates. In addition to the master kit you might buy bands, thrust washer kit, bushing kit, pump gears, sprag spring roller kit, a modulator, that ought to do it.....Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1975 Cougar XR7 with a 351M and a C4 (it has the big bellhousing).

I am almost done rebuilding a 460 for this car. I was going to go with a C6, but after reading the excellent C4 monster thread, I am considering rebuilding a C4.
I read that the C4 can handle lots of horsepower, but my car is being built for towing. The 460 will put out 500+ ft-lbs at low revs pulling a total of 7000+ lbs, which is not quite the same as 500 hp at 5000 rpm in a 3500# car.

I have located a E2T code C5 that I can pick up for $200 Cdn.
Would it live?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
On 2005-04-25 13:23, 75XR7 wrote:
I have a 1975 Cougar XR7 with a 351M and a C4 (it has the big bellhousing).

I am almost done rebuilding a 460 for this car. I was going to go with a C6, but after reading the excellent C4 monster thread, I am considering rebuilding a C4.
I read that the C4 can handle lots of horsepower, but my car is being built for towing. The 460 will put out 500+ ft-lbs at low revs pulling a total of 7000+ lbs, which is not quite the same as 500 hp at 5000 rpm in a 3500# car.

I have located a E2T code C5 that I can pick up for $200 Cdn.
Would it live?
For that I would get a C-6, geartrain in a C-4 is small for that kind of sustained load.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Got an email today from a happy and grateful reader. I hope he doesn't mind my including it here...

Hey RCode:
I’ve referenced the thread you have on the Mustang site and I have to admit it is great. Since I decreased my clutch clearances I have 150+ runs on my low 10 second falcon c-4. I only used to get a little over a 100.
I use all of PA’s parts (input shaft, 6 disc high drum, their planetaries and servo.) I bought all the stuff for 1200 I believe in ’01 then they started offering their guaranteed for life tranny for $1500. If I had waited I would have bought theirs, but for the cost of shipping I can buy the stuff I need to freshen it up.
I’m from Ventura but have Raced @ Famoso for about 10 years, it has been good to me with I’m happy to say at least one track championship (in ’03.)
Not sure of the hp, it ran a 10.15 at just under 132 last year in March with a 373. It's a’79 351w block, 3.7 stroke, roller Comp Cam with Street Heat heads).
After this season I’m going to go through everything again, have the heads opened up and go with fiberglass fenders and doors. I’m hoping for 9.60-70’s then I will slow it down to a 10.90 for super street. I also think the lighter weight will let me go 3 seasons before I freshen everything up. This time I have gone 2 seasons (almost, knock on wood)
Thanks again for the great post.
Chris P

Pretty cool in my view. All you contributors should take pride in helping a brother out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On 2003-01-06 16:12, R Code wrote:

This basic HD C4 was again redesigned in 1982 with a convertor clutch (that locks up), a deeper bell housing, a unique valve body, a number of other different internals and named the C5. The C5’s superior oiling circuit includes a number of small differences from the C4 making it the preferred setup of the three as you can replace the C5 convertor, bell and valve body with standard C4 units and have a super duty C4.
A question for any Aussies on here;

Is this c5 found in xd 250 falcons (sometimes called a c9).

If not, what did the c5 come out in Australia (if anything at all)?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
No none in XD's .The only one i have seen here is from 6cyl F-trucks of that era which have the case fill and deep pan.
Also some came from i believe V8 XE/ZK fairlanes with the pan fill.

The XD sixes were just a C4/C9.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So how come I hear the xd 250 c9 is the best c4 to get? Is it simply because its the newest? Or is it just misinformation?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
Don't know about the best.They are the exact same internals as the V8 c10 types,only difference is the dipstick in the case and the smaller bellhousing/flexplate if space is an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, EXCELLENT thread with lots of great info!

Could someone post a picture of their drilled drums? I'd like to see what I'm shooting for.

(Does anyone sell pre-drilled drums for C4/C5 transmissions?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I follow the mods in this thread is it possible to rebuild a c-4 to handle around 600hp in a 3200 lb mustang. I've never rebuild an automatic before, many 5 speeds though. If I were to try this, should I follow every mod or just a certain few? I can get a PA super comp c-4 with lifetime freshen ups for $1750, is that worth buying vs. doing it myself? I'm not rich by no means but it wouldn't set me too far back in my project either. Thanks for any info you guys have.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: smcmains on 2/7/06 7:42am ]</font>

41 - 60 of 79 Posts