Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever put headers on a '73 Montego
(or any intermediate) with a 351C 2v FMX. The reason I ask is; I have a '73 Montego with a 351C 2v/ FMX, I built it to a 357C and am going to put an AOD in it (suppodedly the same width of a C6). I was planning on putting a set of headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, X-pipe, and either Cherrybombs or Flowmasters; however, I have now found that all headers in Jegs or Summit are for C4 transmissions. I was wondering if there was a way to run headers without having some custom made.
Thanks, Chris.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i don't see why they wouldn't work, cuz if i'm correct, the 351c's that got panfill c-4's that had a "big" flywheel, and torque converter pattern, and i think it's the same size as an aod.....

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering about that, maybe it has something to do with the middle and linkages on the trans.
Chris

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
I build a 72 Mav with a 302 and an AOD. I used the headers for a C-4, only because that's all they listed. If you can get them for a 351C/C-6 you shouldn't have any problems. One thing I have learned over the years of installing headers on many engines/cars is cut off the trans ears at the front bellhousing and the rear of the engine block. They always seem to get in the way.

·
Registered
282 Posts
OK, time to put my usual, patented response in here.... call Stan Johnson @ FPA. A real stand-up guy that designs/patterns/jigs all of his own stuff. Quality, fit and ground clearance are exceptional. His headers are more money, but they're worth it. Period. He lists headers for 2V and 4V Clevelands for the intermediate chassis. If those fit like mine... you can't go wrong!

The man went out on a bit of a limb for <U>me</U> when I talked to him about a set of headers for my '72 with a 351W/C6 combo. Even though he'd never had a set of his Mustang "Windsor" headers installed in my model/year car, before, he knew enough about Ford engine compartment/steering system architecture that he convinced me to give it a shot. Also told me that if they didn't work out, "Just send 'em back!". Stan fixed me up with a set and they were everything he said they'd be. I couldn't be happier.

Call him, and if he tells you they'll fit, you can take it to the bank. He'll also tell you if there's anything you should be aware of BEFORE hand.... he knows his own product.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/Headers.htm

Kevin

·
Registered
126 Posts
I second the fpa's I just installed a set on my 69 torino with a 390 and toploader fit is second to none Stan told me what i needed to do and he was absolutely right just be prepaired for his brutal honesty but atleast he isn't just out to get your money with a product that might fit with alot of massaging

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll see what I can come up with, I may have to delay this for a while, as this is my daily driver also.
Thanks for the responses,
Chris.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts