Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i fixed my brake light issue (i bypassed the brake relay in the trunk) now i have a new problem. for some reason my battery keeps getting hot and the starter solenoid keeps melting and shorting out. when the solenoid melts, it opens up. its happened twice, and both times it was running and the key was not in the ignition. the 2nd time, i had no way to shut it off because the battery terminals were too hot to touch. so the starter spun itself to death. im hoping it didnt take the fly wheel with it. anyone know what could cause this? the starter was brand new, the first solenoid was old (not sure if it was original or not) and the 2nd one was new. is it possible the solenoid isnt grounded good enough? should it even be grounded? the bolts that mount it in the engine bay are stripped, so its kinda just sitting there. i didnt know if it grounded itself when mounted or not. my wires on the batter are getting so hot that they are melting. the wire from the solenoid to the starter and the wire going to the solenoid from the battery both fused themselves together the first time. im so lost and not sure what to do or where to start. any ideas would be greatly appreciated

1 - 1 of 1 Posts