Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I came the closest I've been in my emissions testing trails. But I stil haven't passed, here is the results........

LOADED TEST LOADED LOADED LOADED
POLLUTANT READING STANDARD RESULT
----------- ------- -------- ------
HYDROCARBONS 364 450 PASS
(HC) IN PPM

CARBON MONOXIDE 0.12 3.75 PASS
(CO) IN %

LOADED TEST IDLE IDLE IDLE
POLLUTANT READING STANDARD RESULT
----------- ------- -------- ------
HYDROCARBONS 460 450 FAIL
(HC) IN PPM

CARBON MONOXIDE 0.18 5.00 PASS
(CO) IN %

I assume it's not the carb, judging from the numbers. So this leads me to thinking I have a miss at idle? I checked all the plugs and they are all gapped accordingly to the MSD ignition specs. I checked all the wires, and they are all good. I have not checked the distributor, in fear of screwing something up. (I don't really know much about distributors)

What can I do to pass? I wanna try the alcohol trick everybody talks about, but I am not really sure if it works or what? How do I do it? Any help would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW I ran the test with the jets at 63, the idle is at 900 rpm when in drive with the brake pressed, and the temperature was at 190-200 degrees when I tested, if this helps any.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rod n az on 5/6/02 4:04pm ]</font>

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think you could possibly pass if you got the temp up a little higher. I know it sounds bad but engines usually burn cleaner when they run hotter. Just a thought!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I ran the car through the test with the engine hotter, it might pass? When I did the test, I had driven it for about 30 minutes to warm it up, and it normaly runs 190-200 degrees. How would I get it hotter? Could I drain some coolant from the radiator?

Would raising the idle a bit more help? Would going to a smaller jet size again help? Maybe a 61?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rod n az on 5/6/02 4:04pm ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts