Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had, or know someone who has tried to run a Cobra oval aircleaner in a 65 or 66 stang with a 3" airfliter under the Shelby style hood for that year?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
There's a guy in my area that has a resto-mod 66 convert with the glass hood. He has the oval cleaner on his, but has a two inch element. I'm about positive that a three inch will give you clearance problems. I'm sure you can get a k&n in the two inch size and it should flow pretty well.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you slam the hood down about a dozen times, it should clearence itself

It did fit with a 2" air cleaner, right?

Might want to take the 3" back and get a 2" like FX said. Should flow enough because there is more surface area then a 14" round filter of the same height.

K&N might have flow numbers if you ask them?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well here is the deal, the original height of the paper element is 1.81", K/N has a replacement at this heigth, I bought the 3" element because I knew I was going to get an aftermarket hood. I placed the aircleaner w/ element on the motor and carefully set the old hood down on it to get an idea of how much room I will need, well I only need about 3/4" to get the hood to close with the 3" element, so I was hopeing that the bulge in the shelby hood would make up this height that I need, but dont want to spend all that money to find out that it wont fit. With the swap meet in Portland comeing up I might be able to find a Shelby hood at a decent price. I did call Maier to get some demensions on their Shelby hood and things look positive for a good fit but was hopeing someone would have previous experience with this setup. If I get a decent hood at the swap meet for a good price, if it does not fit, it is only fiberglass and in the right hands is like clay to a sculptor, something good will happen. I like the aspect of the ram air affect with the Shelby hood vs. the cowl hood. I got nothing but time thanks to all the rain.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
This probably doesnt help you out, but I have the 3 inch K&N filter in my 68 Fairlane with the oval air cleaner. I also have a 2 inch spacer to lift the cleaner off my distributor. I cut a hole in my hood so the air cleaner will go thru in the summer, using 2 2in. spacers. I'm only using 1 spacer so it's not poking thru now and have good clearance, but I need the spacer to stop it from hitting the distributor. Here's a picture of the assembly.

68 Fairlane/70 Cougar

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dark7068 on 3/20/02 10:57am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats looks very similar to mine demension wise. I thought about cutting a hole in the hood but, but I am hesitent due to its factory has not been damaged status, I figure I will be better off storeing the orginal and buying an aftermarket hood.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Probably a good idea. My hood is FUBARED anyways, so I didnt care. I have another one ready to go on this spring and I might not cut it. Try and find another stock hood and try it. That way it wont matter if you bend it or cut a hole.
Talk to your local parts store if they have one, put it in your cleaner, open your hood, run a 2x4 over fender to fender and see how high it sticks up. My parts guy let me do that, I cut the hole anyways for more air. I have an old Edelbrock Streetmaster high rise, and Carter 625 with the 2 inch air cleaner spacer. And it just comes under the hood.The other spacer brings it over the hood out of the hole, sure looks cool.

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts