Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set my timing to 12* at idle w/out vacuum line connected. My car now has a hesitation that it didn't have when I had it set at 12* w/ the vacuum line. This doesn't make any sense to me. The distributer is a NAPA rebuild for a 69 stang 351, so I think the springs should be close right? What does everyone else w/ 351 strokers run for initial timing, and should the total kick in when it is in park at 3500RPM, or does there need to be a load? Sorry about all of the questions, I am just scared that I will advance it too much and not hear the pinging w/ my dumped 2 chamber flows.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I experimenting with the same thing.

Try setting your base timing @ 6-8* without vacuum hooked up and pluged. Then check timing w/ manifold vacuum hooked up. I get 25*. When I use "port" vacuum on the carb., I get 0 vacuum at idle, so I set timing from 10-12*.
To check "total" timing unhook and plug vacuum, bring up rpm and note where the timing (and at what rpm) it stops advancing.
It's impossible to see with vacuum hooked up.

At least that's my take on it.
I haven't made up my mind which way I like it best, cause I think I have a carb. problem also.

Lets us know what you think, good luck,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts