Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
On 2002-07-03 17:27, Greg Cook wrote:
This one's more for the younger guys (under 40, hehe!)

We often make jokes about the "Ricers" and their "unusual" automotive terminology. You listen and kinda think "Uh, what did he just say?"

This is really nothing new.

Imagine you have just been time warped back to 1950. You're standing in a Drive-In Parking Lot and you overhear this.....

"Yeah, he's got a 3 Window A-Bone channeled over duece rails. The front end is ****'d. It's got a monkey motion mill with six 97's, a Zephyr box, a Columbia butt, and 40 hydraulics."

Uh, what did he just say???

63 Galaxie Fastback 557" [email protected] mph
66 Fairlane 500 472" 4speed [email protected]
62 Sunliner Bone Stock

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Greg Cook on 7/4/02 5:30am ]</font>
I'm gonna see which ones I know..

3 Window A-Bone channeled over duece rails
Maybe a 3 window bodydroped onto a different frame?

The front end is ****'d.
I'm thinkin maybe smoothing or reshaping the grill area...

It's got a monkey motion mill with six 97's
Wouldnt this be the mercury flathead with six stromberg 97 Carbs? The reason Im thinkin Mercury is they came with higher compression and thus higher HP stock.

a Zephyr box
This ones easy, tranny from a Lincoln Zephyr
(My friend in Oregon has a beautiful 37 with the flat head 12)

a Columbia butt
Halibrand Quick change diff? this is a total guess

40 hydraulics."
I'm thinkin this has something to do with the shocks, comes to mind that the 40 ford was one of the first to get away from the lever shocks, but again I could be mistaken.

So how'd I do? God I hope I got at least 2 right
I'd also like to restate my age as only 23.....
70 Torino Conv. N code 429

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Luv70sFords on 7/4/02 8:00am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
"Yeah, he's got a 3 Window A-Bone channeled over duece rails. "
*Model A Ford 3 window coupe ('28-'31) on a '32 frame. Channeling is when the body is lowered over the frame.

"The front end is ****'d. "
*The axle is dropped to lower the front of the car. It was done by MorDrop in San Diego (Mor-Drop Axles
600 29th Avenue
Oakland, CA 94601
510-261-1888 if you want to call them). They heat the ends and bend it.

"It's got a monkey motion mill with six 97's, a Zephyr box, a Columbia butt, and 40 hydraulics."
*Not sure what the monkey mill is (overhead valves???), six Stromberg 97 carbs, Lincoln Zepher gear box, columbia two speed rearend, and '40 Ford hydralic brakes.

1964 Comet 289 C4/3000 stall daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 7/4/02 7:41am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 7/4/02 7:44am ]</font>

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
3 window A-Bone = Ford Model A Coupe

'Channeled' means the body has been narrowed (I believe)

'Deuce Rails' means the frame rails are from a 32' Ford

I'm not sure what '****'d' means

I'm not sure what a 'Monkey Motion' refers to (probably overhead valves), but a 'mill' is an engine.

'Six 97's' means the car has six Stromberg 97 carburetors (they came on Ford flatheads)

'Zepher box' refers to a Lincoln Zepher transmission... but I don't know why they were better than the others...

'Columbia Butt' ...you've got me there

'40 hydraulics' means it has been updated to hydraulic brakes off a 1940 model vehicle.

How's that for a 34 year old? My dad used to be into antique cars... (original ones, not street rods) back when they were a 'poor man's' hobby... before they pretty much priced themselves out of existance. He has (in neglected, but indoor condition) a 29' Ford Model A, a 34' Ford Phaeton, and a 35 Ford Cabriolet. We live in central West Virginia, and used to travel IN THEM rain or shine to several out of state shows every summer. I remember, as a kid travelling in the back of the 34' (most used) to Hershey, Charlotte, Virginia, Vermont, etc. Mind you... the 34' Phaeton is pretty much a convertible station wagon WITHOUT roll-up windows! All it had were pin-up plastic side curtains that were pretty much useless in the rain! It was just a GOOD unrestored 'driver'. You just had to remember to take spare parts with you. Most common roadside replacement were fuel pumps and generators... with the occasional water pump... (but that was mostly a model 'A' problem... but at least it didn't even have a fuel pump, gravity did the trick on that car) The 34' even has a working factory tube-type radio. It's a rare piece... and was what I learned to drive a stick shift on... at a VERY young age.

Good Memories... Since interest dried up around here, he's now into Hardly Ablesons... (sorry Tom)

Good Luck!

(EDIT) DAMN... there weren't any real responses before I went into my big 'novel'... I must be SLOW!
http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/healey/367

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n2omike on 7/4/02 7:46am ]</font>

·
Registered
154 Posts
What's a "Torpedoback?"
One of those old Merc's with the narrow slope back?

What is "Zee'd"?
lowered?

What are "Dummy Appletons"?
fake driving lights?

What are "Smitty's"?
im thinking old headers?

What's a "B-400"?
Isnt that an allison automatic trans?

Well those are my guesses.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When I was a little kid (in the 50s) my dad had a 50 (I think) Torpedoback Stovebolt with a 270 Jimmy, 4 97s, 4spd hydro, split pipes with Smittys (weren't they steelpacks?). Used to scare the hell out of me when he drove it. Left arm out the window steering with the "necker knob". Don't know what happened to that car, think he traded it for a pick-up to drag his "Jalopy" around with.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
" Dragman 64 Scores!!!! (As Usual). " Humm, have the rumers gotten all the way over to the East coast?

Figured the Monkey Motion mill wasnt a Flatty, because I dont think I've ever seen a 6 carb intake for one. I think 4 is about the most.

Why not real Appelton spotlights? Dont want to be a poser now, do ya?

Here is a pic of how to Z a frame (its the front of an English Pop):

Sectioning- removeing metal out of the middle of a car (horazontaly), to lower the height of the body.

1964 Comet 289 C4/3000 stall daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 7/4/02 8:27pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I thought spotlights were only illigal on the types of cars that the cops happen to use?

It finaly clicked, B400 is a '32 convertable sedan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.