Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a different post and started talking to Tom about "Make A Wish". I mentioned to Tom about a organization I have become involved with and I would love to hear some of your responses.
"Forgotten Dreams" is the adult version of "Make A Wish" primarily working to help fulfil those rods that had to be parked/forgotten because of sickness/health reasons.
How many times have you heard of a great deal on a car that has been parked for 2,5 or 10 years because the owner had started the build only to become sick and not able to afford finishing it and in the end, they had passed away and the family just wanted to get rid of it.
What we are trying to organize,with support of a long line of manufacturers, is clubs to donate their time locally to finsih these vehicles and let the original owner see his dream completed. I know there are a few of you out there that can relate to watching a project have to change because of financial restraints and such.
Now, I am not asking any of you for money or whatever, I just want your opinions of this project and if you have a club, find out if they would like to participate.
There is a whole bunch of legal stuff I am working on, such as having the cars prior to being started signed over to the club /organization (for insurance purposes) with the intent that when finished the car will be auctioned of for local charities.

Please E-Mail me a response as I have to petition a load of manufacturers with this plan and your voices will have a lot of power.

[email protected]

Thanks, your brother by Blue Oval
Fred

There is NO substitution for Cubes
1954 Mercury Pick-up Blown 525 BBF, Morrison pro street/ pro-gas frame,2 1/2" chop but still in pieces

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blown54 on 4/13/02 6:48am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't believe it. This post has been here for 8 hours, been viewed 45 times and no one has said a word. I just want some ideas, thats all.
Imagine that T-Bolt you have, wanting it all restored and dreaming of cruising in it then finding out that you have MS and the car slowly gets farther and farther away. Wouldn't you love to see it finished, as you dreamed it?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Good for you Blown 54.This probably isn't the type of reply you were hoping for but I feel it is sort of relevant.First of all I had a 19 year old niece and my father both pass away from cancer already in this short year of 2002.My niece was able to go to Disney Land through the make a wish foundation and it was one of the happiest times of her life.This is a wonderful organization.On a more personal note my dad and I were just about to restore a 66 mustang coupe that he got from my sister who lives in Saskatchewan.My Dad bought it from the family of a friend of hers who owned it and also sadly passed away much too young.This summer I am restoring this car the way me and my Dad had planned and when its finished I am going to drive it out to my sisters and give it to her.The look on her face will be worth all my sweat and skinned knuckles.While I don't have any ideas to help you I certainly admire what you are trying to do.GOOD LUCK!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I am trying to put this project together is simular to what you have gone through. Two years ago, I met a young girl at the hospital whose father was in for treatment. She noticed the cruise T I had on and we started talking about the 34 Ford her dad had in the garage, 80% finished but because of the treatments, he didn't have the energy or the money to finish it. He had owned the car for 20 years, was doing a complete of it. Her father tearfully had decided to get rid of it and spend the rest of his with his family. I found a friend that was looking for a rod and explained the circumstances. Well Dave bought it and with the help of his club rushed into the car, finished it at nite and weekends in 3 months.
Then, on the Victoria Day weekend last year, Dave and the club went over to Vic's house (the father) and took him for a cruise. That cruise went on for 9 hours and sure it wore Vic out but he had a hoot. We all did.
Vic finally sucumbed to the cancer last August and we all attended the funeral. Vic had written a small passage directed to the club thanking them for helping make the last days so memorable and easier.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
On the same note I have a friend that was really close to his son. While riding one day a semi pulled in front of them killing his son instantly. He spent one year listening to his son's CD's, doing the things he liked to do & deciding to do the '64 Comet the way he wanted even in his absence. This is something that touches me in a way I never thought possible! We have no such programs here but I would help in any way I could & be proud to do so! I'll give it some thought & e-mail you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts