Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hopefully yall can help me. i have a 1993 ford f150 xlt. (ext cab 8' bed 4x4) with a 351 windsor motor. it was replaced before i bought it. it supposedly has about 100K miles on it. (trucks odom. says around 186k though so who knows--craigslist people tend to lie lol) anyway, i was driving it out of state and i heard this nasty noise almost like a connecting rod snapped. i immediately felt a vibration in the gas pedal. i let off right away and within 2 more seconds the truck shut itself off. the motor was/is "seized". it wont crank, including by hand. i drained the oil and there are TONS of gold "flakes" in the oil. what does this mean??? ikeep getting toldits the "main bearing" but then i see things saying the motor is shot, or that it's something else and im not sure. so a seized motor and gold glitter in my oil. what does that mean?? thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
The motor has failed. Pull it out and tear down and you know all you need to know'

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well yeah obviously but we don't have a hoist or stand at this point. We need to find out basically if it's main bearings, rod bearings, the main shaft bearing, or if it's something worse that could have cracked the block. Even more basically, is it going to be cheaper to fix it or get a new motor and do a swap.

·
Premium Member
34,892 Posts
Cheaper is to buy a running used motor and put it in.

But without a hoist or engine stand, you're just as stuck.

The flakes are rod and main bearings. the bearings base metal is brass, that's what you're seeing. Your oil pump likely failed causing this to happen, or the wear and tear on the engine just wiped them from lack of good oil pressure.

It don't matter really. Removing a stuck motor from a vehicle is hard, because you can't turn it to get the flywheel bolts out... That complicated it quite a bit, so if the oil pan is removable you do it, loosen all the rods and main caps you can, then try to break the motor free, or you have to pull the tranny with it, which makes a big mess...

Now we're back to you not having a hoist.

Which makes all your questions a moot point, because the motor is going nowhere until you do... Does that make sense?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, we are working on getting a hoist so we can get this thing pulled. We are pretty positive the oil pump went out(help info I forgot to mention, as this happened the oil pressure shot to the top and dropped to nothing). Would that make a difference on what the issue is? And either way, would the block be messed up (cracked,scored etc)? I think we are going to rebuild unless the block is messed up and we can't. I feel like this is more of a mess than it needs to be lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not sure where you are from, but here you can pick up a running 351w for about $350. Unless you are trying to build the motor better than stock, your cheaper and easier option would pick up a runner and drop it in.

All depends on what you're looking to get out of it.

·
Registered
2021 F150 STX
61 Posts
Not sure where you are from, but here you can pick up a running 351w for about $350. Unless you are trying to build the motor better than stock, your cheaper and easier option would pick up a runner and drop it in.

All depends on what you're looking to get out of it.
I sure wish I could have found one of those unicorn running scrap engines. I tried twice and got melted mains and rods both times. Not as much to choose from or I didnt know how to ask.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts