Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have a 5 bolt motor from my falcon. Can anyone tell me how to figure out if it is a 260 or 289? Any help would be helpful. Thanks
There will be somebody that can tell you for sure. (by casting no's etc) but first off the year is going to be needed for sure...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Can anyone tell me what motor is in my car?
Ummmm Ummmm maybe a blue one? or could be red, maybe it has 6 spark plug wires, or maybe 10? I'll bet its one or the other, or something in the middle. :D

And MAYBE cast iron, or COULD be an ultra rare unobtainium one... ;)

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have a 5 bolt motor from my falcon. Can anyone tell me how to figure out if it is a 260 or 289? Any help would be helpful. Thanks
If it is the factory engine it will be a 260. Ford did not use the 289 in the falcon untill 1965 and they were all 6 bolt bellhousings in 1965. check the casting number behind the starter. the 260 will be a C3OE-6015-B, C3OE-6015-C, C4OE-6015-B, C4OE-6015-D or C4OE-6015-E

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you don't know for sure it came in the falcon new, it could even be a 221 from a fairlane, that's where the small block started at in 1962. Pop the heads and check the size ,then you know for sure.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If it is the factory engine it will be a 260. Ford did not use the 289 in the falcon untill 1965 and they were all 6 bolt bellhousings. check the casting number behind the starter. the 260 will be a C3OE-6015-B, C3OE-6015-C, C4OE-6015-B, C4OE-6015-D or C4OE-6015-E

Early 289s were 5 bolt.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yes, I am aware of that. But they were not offered in the Falcon. When I said they were all 6 bolt bell housing I was refering to the 65 model year Falcon that came with the 289 from the factory. You could get the 289 in the 64 comet and that had the 5 bolt block.

I know they were not offered in the falcon,I'v known that since i bought my falcon in 1964. But he has no idea where it came from, meaning it could have been from a number of ford products including a 64 comet. Or even the fairlane that came with the first smallblock 221 c.u. I guess if he really wants to know he can pull a head off ,probably needs a rebuild any way.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I know they were not offered in the falcon,I'v known that since i bought my falcon in 1964. But he has no idea where it came from, meaning it could have been from a number of ford products including a 64 comet. Or even the fairlane that came with the first smallblock 221 c.u. I guess if he really wants to know he can pull a head off ,probably needs a rebuild any way.
Well maybe you should reread my post that includes the casting numbers for a 260 that would be a lot easier then pulling a head. You are the one who thought I did not know that the 289 came with a 5 bolt block. Were did I say the engine could not have come from a different car. You are reading too much into my simple statement. I was just letting you know that I am aware of that fact that early 289's have a 5 bolt block. the odds are he has a 260 and very unlikly it is a 221 but by checking the casting numbers he will know for sure what he has. Hopefully it is a early 289.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well maybe you should reread my post that includes the casting numbers for a 260 that would be a lot easier then pulling a head. You are the one who thought I did not know that the 289 came with a 5 bolt block. You are reading too much into my simple statement. I was just letting you know that I am aware of that fact. and the odds are he has a 260 and very unlikly it is a 221 but by checking the casting numbers he will know for sure what he has. Hopefully it is a early 289.
No ,you read to much in my statement, he has no idea where it came from. I believe it is a 64 260 and like i said it probably needs rebuilt , so pop the heads and he will know for sure. There are people out there that would stick a 221 in it if they never knew the difference since it is a 5 bolt, but i don't believe that is the case here. I'm just going to let him figure it out, means nothing to me.

·
Registered
684 Posts
No ,you read to much in my statement, he has no idea where it came from. I believe it is a 64 260 and like i said it probably needs rebuilt , so pop the heads and he will know for sure. There are people out there that would stick a 221 in it if they never knew the difference since it is a 5 bolt, but i don't believe that is the case here. I'm just going to let him figure it out, means nothing to me.
Well he does know it came from a 64 Falcon at one time, so he does have some idea where it came from. I would still look at the casting numbers before I pulled a head. And instead of just letting him figure it out, I will be glad to help him figure out what he has. If it means nothing to you why even respond to the thread?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well he does know it came from a 64 Falcon at one time, so he does have some idea where it came from. I would still look at the casting numbers before I pulled a head. And instead of just letting him figure it out, I will be glad to help him figure out what he has. If it means nothing to you why even respond to the thread?
He never said it was a 64 until post # 8 , so it could have a 64 comet engine in it . It means nothing now because i lost interest when it looked like anything i said was going to be knocked down by you . If you want to help ,have at it i won't take part. I'm done , headed back to the ford truck forums.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hang in there FE, it only took 3 hours and 8 post to find out what year falcon he was asking about, ha ha.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts