Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing a fresh 302 in a 67 Fastback and the mounts don't seem to fit right. I can get the forward two bolts in place but not the back two bolts. If I go the other route and put the mounts on the engine stand-offs first, and then try to slip the long bolts through the holes, fiting them in is an impossible struggle. Has anyone else had this headache before? I thought maybe body flex was to blame, but the export brace fits on perfectly. Could it be that these mounts are just junk reproduction garbage?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had this problem when stuffing a 351C in my 67. Turned out I had 1 wrong motor mount. The problem I had was the height of the motor mounts were different and as a result 1 bolt would fit through but the second seemed to not line up and at quick glance the motor was tilted slightly to the side with the bolt in it. My export brace also fit perfectly so I didnt suspect frame misalignment. I got lucky at pep boys they had 1 in stock and that solved my problem. I would suggest having them bolted to the block then bolt through the frame not the other way around.
Good luck
g

·
Registered
233 Posts
I struggled with mine, on my old '67 a while back. The story in my case was to loosen all the mount bolts, allowing some (enough) play in the alignment of the holes to begin threading, then begin tightening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ValveTubeHead's method worked for me, so I guess I have the right motor mounts. But what a knuggle buster of a job, armwrestling a motormount with a pry bar with one hand and blind fitting a bolt with the other. It just doesn't seem right. There is no way the orginial assembly was put together with this much effort. Still, it's in there, and in a few days, with a little luck, I'll be ready to crack some plaster loose from the garage walls while the cam wears in! Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Yeah that sounds pretty normal. OVer the years the mount brackets that bolt to the shocktower move a bit, the towers flex, and add to that the reproduction motormounts made in China or wherever, and you simply are not going to have factory tolerances.

You can do as you did, pry and struggle. What I do is, if the motor is out of hte car, out the mount on the bracket, and then see how far off the holes are... then egg out the holes in the motormount with a dremel so that the bolt goes through easiliy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.