Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I went to install my motor today into the fastback and found out today that there is about 1/2 more the mount would have to go in order to get the bolt thorugh the hole so it mounts. I dont get it, The car had the v8 engine brackets on it. and I thought I bought the right mounts, they are the ones for the 351C. So what gives? Im putting the 351C into my 68. The car use to have a 390 in it but not anymore. Thanks.

·
Registered
359 Posts
isn't the 390 quite a bit wider that the 351 that you are trying to put in there, my guess is that those mounts weren't meant for that car

·
Registered
283 Posts
What mounts do you have on the 351? If they are from say, a 72 torino, they are wider than a Mustang. Did you install the 302 frame mounts in your 68? The 390 frame mounts are different.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I simply used the mounts that were in there. They looked like 289-302 brackets. The car no longer had the 390 in it when I bought, restoration project. Im going to go and talk to a friend of mine today and see what he thinks. He has a had more mustangs than I have so im pretty sure he can tell me which motor mount is what and all that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found out that the part numbers on the normal motor moutns and the ones on the 351C in 1970 are different from the ones on the normal cars. I guess im going to get some off of a 70 mach and fix that.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Hemikiller is correct the frame mounts are different between the big block and small block cars.I tried to set a 390 in a small block car and had the same problem.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
390 mounts flare out more then a 289-302. the 68 289- 302 should be very common mounts any yard should have them my .02 cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts