Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is warming up here now. I havent started the 390 in a couple of months. How do I start it up with least amount of wear to engine.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I say get it started and idling right away, the fastest way to get oil everywhere is by turning the oil pump at idle speed. No need to rev it til there is oil everywhere anyway. I think cranking an engine with the coil wire removed " which is what my friend does to his 500 h.p. small block, MIKE !!! " would just be hard on the cam. - but thats just me thinkin'

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
remove the dizzy and get a drill on the oil pump. Prime the system and turn the crank a few times by hand, this way you'll get oil in the whole system similar to when you start an engine for the first time

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
....i better check my bearings, ive done a buncha "90 day stays" and ive never took the distributor out...

·
Registered
682 Posts
hell i had my new motor sitting for a whole yr, when we were going to get it started my engine builder primed it for a while untill all oil pressure was up and fired her up, still runs.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never done this. Anyone care to expand on how to prime with a drill? The engine is fully assembled and installed in the car.

No matter how complicated something is or seems, always start with the simple basics then work your way to the rocket science !!!
Me

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 3/14/06 6:27am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I decided to go the coil wire off route and I cranked it for around 5 seconds or so. It started right up and I drove it to the pumps for a nice fill up. Ran smooth as silk, but idles real rough. I wonder if the sta-bil fuel treatment had anything to do with this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts