Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iam building a 408 stroker in a 93 mustang notchback i took out the motor mounts and put in front motorplate i was wondering if i should put a mid plate in also or will the front plate be enough....thx...madpony

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: madpony1 on 7/28/06 1:27pm ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
front plate will "probably" be enough. However, for peace of mind, I'd also do the mid plate. With JUST the front, it puts quite a load on the bellhousing, many times enough to crack/break it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
use a mid plate and still use a rubber trans mount. your trans case will thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx guys i probably will go with the mid plate just for peace of mind do i have to worry about the extra 1/4 gap that it will put in on my torque converter or will it be fine

·
Registered
502 Posts
there are 1/8" plates available. that should still keep the converter pilot engaged in the crank. if not, talk to your converter company. its important that the pilot goes into the crank about 1/8".

dont forget that you need to install an engine limiter to control front to back engine movement. i usually put something from the frame to the old motor mount bolt hole or to a bellhousing bolt.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: igo1090 on 7/29/06 4:50am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If you are going to use an aluminum front plate then spend a couple extra dollars for an engine limiter kit from Comp Engineering. The plates are great for keeping the motor from twisting but every time you hit the gas or the brakes that engine is going to want to rock back and forth. The first thing that will crack and fail is the front plate. The steel mid plate will go next.

Not to cheat the classifieds but I have a new limiter, front plate and steel mid plate for a 351w that I won't be using. Interested?

Murff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts