Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my galaxie has a 390 with 80,945 original miles on it also the car has sat in a barn for 16 yrs. She will star just fine but the gaskets around the head have started to slowly leak. What I'm getting at is should i have the motor rebuilt and what is a good estimate on cost to do the rebuild?

Thank You
TJ Antoszewski

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I had a shop in NJ quote 5K for a rebuild (352/250). on a 58 Squarebird, but that's on the high side with me doing nothing at all except signing a check.

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Holy cow. What did you pay for the car? Any other problems, like burning oil, slipping transmission, excessive shaking, bad brakes, overheating, rotten interior? Maybe a rebuild should not be at the top of your to-do list.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I paid nothing for the car. The is my wife's great grand fathers car. Insid of the car is in awesome condition. The frame, windshield and rear quarter panels are bad but I have a parts car.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Which gaskets are leaking?.If its the head gaskets your going to have to tear into it....If its just the valve cover gaskets that's an easy fix..They have probably dried out from sitting so long..If the engine isn't making any strange sounds or leaking badly I would hold off on rebuilding until you can actually drive the car and see how it is..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is the inherited car a 2 door or 4 door or convertible and what year is the car? Are you sure it's not freeze plugs leaking?

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
REASONABLE is $2700.

RIDICULOUS is $5000!!!!!!!

Master kit is $600 MAXIMUM!

PISTONS are $275!

Machine work is $1800. (INCLUDING A VALVE JOB)

One of you mathematical geniuses PLEASE make those numbers come up to $5000 Bucks!!!!

This subject pisses me off all the damn time. Take ANY Truck 360/390 to a shop and ask them for a rebuild price and they'll tell you $2500 to $3000.

Tell them it's in a Galaxie and you get fukt??? It's the same damn engine for hell's sake!

Jerry, please go tell that worm schitt that told you $5K for rebuilding your FE that I think he's a lying piece of garbage...

For $5K I could rebuild it here and ship it to you and STILL make a couple hundred on the deal.

Sorry guy's, this hit a nerve is all. Those idiots Jerry3m hast to deal with just get my blood boiling...

FE

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
REASONABLE is $2700.

PISTONS are $275!

One of you mathematical geniuses PLEASE make those numbers come up to $5000 Bucks!!!!

This subject pisses me off all the damn time. Take ANY Truck 360/390 to a shop and ask them for a rebuild price and they'll tell you $2500 to $3000.

Tell them it's in a Galaxie and you get fukt??? It's the same damn engine for hell's sake!

Jerry, please go tell that worm schitt that told you $5K for rebuilding your FE that I think he's a lying piece of garbage...

For $5K I could rebuild it here and ship it to you and STILL make a couple hundred on the deal.

Sorry guy's, this hit a nerve is all. Those idiots Jerrym3 has to deal with just get my blood boiling...

FE

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Antoszewski,
If the car doesn't have to be rebuilt right away, shop around. Find the best deal you can. It'll surprise you how cheap you can get it done if you're not in a hurry. It sounds like the car has emotional ties to your family so let it be an ongoing project. If you're planning on fixing it up to sell it you might as well sell it like it is and not put a dime in it. I guarrantee you'll make more money that way. Jim

·
Premium Member
5,564 Posts
If you're planning on fixing it up to sell it you might as well sell it like it is and not put a dime in it. I guarrantee you'll make more money that way. Jim

That is 100% correct. Sell it to a gearhead for $2,000. Wait a year and buy it back from the same guy - motor rebuilt, new suspension, rust repaired - for $3,000.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
REASONABLE is $2700.

PISTONS are $275!

Sorry guy's, this hit a nerve is all. Those idiots Jerry3m hast to deal with just get my blood boiling...

FE
True.

I really had no intention of having the motor rebuilt anyway; I was just curious because even with low mileage (roughly 60K), there was a bit of blowby due possibly to sitting for years in a garage while the original owner (92 years old widow) got older.

Anyway, when it came time to sell one car, I kept the Galaxie and sold the TBird.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts