Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! This the situation: I have about $7,000 to play with and I plan on purchasing a mustang that will not be my primary mode of transportation. It will mainly be used for fun at the drag strip and occassional street cruising. I plan on purchasing 1987-93 mustang lx and swapping the motor for a new 4.6 cobra motor. I just checked out an 88 lx 4 cylinder automatic. It's exactly what I was looking for (color, condition), except for the fact that it's a 4 cylinder and has an automatic tranny (5.0s are hard to find at $1,000). I am under the understanding that a motor swap from a 4 to an 8 cylinder requires much more time and effort, not to mention money, than swapping an 8 for another 8. Is this true? Is this even feasible with a $6,000 budget used strictly towards the swap including labor charges? My alternate choice is to pay a little more for a better conditioned 5.0 and supercharging it. To be honest, I would very much rather have the cobra motor than a supercharged 5 liter. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I don't have much experience w/ the newer 5.0s, but I know the 4.6 im much wider and would be a real pain in the ass to swap. You could have a much more powerful engine if you went with a 351 stroker or a 460. You would save alot of money, and these swap parts are readily available and much cheaper than swapping to a 4.6. If you do a search I think there was a post a while back about a modular in a fox body.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
in your case i think the only thing that would be different between the 4 cyl car and a 5.0 car would be that you would want to swap in a better axle than the stock 4 cyl 7.5". Either a 8.8 or a converted 9" would be good. you would have to go to a modular specific transmission, motor mounts, etc...also i doubt the stock 4 cyl radiator would cool a 4.6. but most of this stuff can be found in salvage yards.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This is a bit odd as I have not yet heard of anyone "MOVING UP TO a 4.6". Sadly, Ford has not much of an engine in the 4.6. It is as big externally as a 460 with LESS power than a 5.0. Ford could have built a 450 HP 5.0 with supurb aftermarket heads but they chose to jump into the Modular platform,which has not proven to be a powerhouse of an engine platform. Build a strong 5.0,in fact buy an older 5.0 Mustang. Yank the motor and build a strong motor that will not only make gobs of hp (maybe even stroke it to 3.25) but pass smog.

·
Registered
739 Posts
$7,000 budget including swap labor. Well, since you are very short on budget if you are paying someone for swap labor, I would buy a late model 5.0 lX or GT, then you won't need to swap. Then you could use whatever is leftover from the purchase price for modifications. So, let's say you get a decent 5.0 for about half your budget, then you have money for gears, rebuilding the trac-loc, tires, maybe an induction/exhaust upgrade and you are there.
If you buy a 4 cyl, then you have to buy the equivalent of a 5.0 drive train, then pay someone (lots) to put it in. You don't appear to have the budget to do a 9" rear, beefed C4 and a bigger motor, all of which would be more fun. Good luck.

·
Registered
698 Posts
For your first post, you sure got a boatload of very good information. As a wise man once said, a smart man learns from his mistakes, but a smarter man learns from others mistakes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you do go the 4.6 route make sure you get a 99 or newer motor, the 97-98 were not very good performers. The swap has been done before but since your using a 4cy car it will cost consideribly more, the Suspension and brakes need to be changed and you will need a harness and ECM from the donor car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
are you thinking of the 4.6 cobra or the regular 4.6....a cobra motor will run you about 4-5k i think.....just stick w/ the 5.0 and drop in a charger or some nitrous and run 11's all day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts