Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a 1971 body on a 77 4X4 frame and am having trouble with the bed as the wheel base is a little longer on the 77. I am considering using a 73-79 stepside bed instead of the 71 fleetside due to the wheel base and mounting issues. Any help advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I posted this on another Fm's question... but should have the information your seeking. I'm at work now, so I don't have a lot of time to type.

****I've helped with that sort of conversion a couple of times. You can use a frame from all the way up to a mid-77 frame. In mid 77 they changed the fames in the front. The frame on 77-1/2 to 79 got wider in the front from where the cab mounts all that way to the front of the frame. So the front end of your 68 will not bolt up properly. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying it will require some fabrication.

I would look for a 76 or early 77 doner as they have the high pinion on the front end and the front driveshaft doesn't hang as low. but most of the 76-early 77 models have disk brakes, power brakes and power steering. They also have wider leaf springs too so they will support more of a load.

The two that I've helped with were using a 66 custom cab short bed body and put it on a 76 f-250 frame. The frame was a long bed so we had to cut it. People said that it would never come out striaght. Well to this day the truck has been rolled twice by the owner, and still hasn't cracked and still drives and tracks straight as an arrow.

The other one was a early 77 frame and put a 70 body on it. that one met a tree in the mountians... sooo....****

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hav already mounted the cab and front clip. It's the bed I am having the problems with. It's a short box fleetside. Will a 74-79 tepside box bolt on and look right? Anybody?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts