Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would I need to safely mount a fuel pressure gauge INSIDE my car? I would want to do this to monitor fuel pressure when using nitrous.

·
Registered
991 Posts
mechanical gauge? You need to use an isolator

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So...I can use any mechanical gauge just as long as I have an isolator?

Maybe it would be easier/cheaper to just mount a gauge on the cowl...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 82GT on 8/21/06 7:40am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
On a mechanical gauge basically you have a coupler transfer the pressure to a non-flammable liquid, so you don't have fuel in the cockpit.

Electric is easy, but so is mounting it on the base of the hood or the cowl.

·
Registered
18 Posts
thats how i mounted mine..

i didnt wanna spend the extra money so i could put it inside with the isolater

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: butch86 on 8/21/06 12:23pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Stupid question. Is an isolator necessary to race at most tracks? or is it a precaution just to avoid potential leaks?

Most mechanical guages come with AN fittings and if they are plumbed correctly I would think that a leak would be rare.

AN fitting rarely if ever leak if they are installed correctly. From my experience working with aircraft engines, most would probably be surprised how long they run before fuel lines or any AN fitting is re-torqued. Not only that, most see significantly higher pressure than the 5-7 psi from a mechanical pump.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Butch...where did you get that cowl delete? I like that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If it's gonna go inside, use the isolator. The leak potential isn't just from fittings,... gauges CAN/DO fail internally. I see it at work quite frequently. Also, God forbid you find yourself in an accident. The last place you'd wanna be is trapped inside with gas being sprayed all over.

Might sound extreme, but them's the facts. Be safe.

Kevin

·
Registered
991 Posts
I would never run a mechanical fuel gauge in the car without an isolator, thats asking for big trouble

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
No fuel lines allowed in the cockpit. All tanks and lines must be isolated from the driver's compartment. No fuel regulators mounted on the firewall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts