Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a news story on cars that hog the left lane and a place that sells stickers for your car saying "move over" in different ways. Cute idea but just wonder if they became too popular and how many would rather pull the trigger on you in some areas than to move over. I have problems moving over out of people's way because they think i should instantly do the ol pro-stock maneuver so they just hop over in the right lane to pass me. Many times at the same time i am then get upset because i moved. There isn't much patience out there with a lot of the drivers. They come up on you and don't slow a bit and go around on the right even if there is another lane on your right. Wonder how many accidents that kind of thing causes?

I thought the Eldon sticker should have "over" or "ovah" in it also. :)

I surely won't be buying one at the prices they are asking and the retaliation it might bring. Have enough trouble round here already. But then again, they might move if they saw the side of the car huh? Move over that car looks dangerous! lol

www.leftlanedriver.org

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Most states law requires you to stay to the right unless passing.

If cars are passing you on the right, you are in violation of the law and are a hazard. This does not excuse speeders but you are the one actually causing the hazard by hanging in the left lane.

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I very well know this. I get in the right lane to go around slower traffic, once past i move over but apparently i use my rearview mirror as a guide to know for sure i'm not cutting the person i'm getting in front of off as one is supposed to do, which includes also looking to verify this fact. As there is a big blind spot in that corner of most cars. But some don't care if they cut the person off and just cut right in front of them, semi trucks included just to get around someone and most times don't bother to use their turn signals either. I do know the laws even if the move over post and my comments make you think otherwise.
Another fun thing they like to do here, even if you are in the right lane and very little traffic is ride your rear bumper which irks the heck out of me!

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I like it. Yes, it is illegal to use the left lane in WA unless passing. Apparently, few drivers ever read the Driver's Manual, and fewer still read the signs saying the same thing on the roads. It is also illegal to delay more than 5 cars without pulling-over. It's a good thing for some driver's I'm not a cop.

David

http://www.leftlanedrivers.org/Images/slowertraffic.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
In the multi-lane highways and freeways here in CA there is no "fast lane", but for some reason people think that if you're in the left lane you need to be driving exactly 5 MPH faster than they are. If not they'll sit on yer arse until you move over and let them by, even if you're already doing 10 or 15 MPH over the posted speed limit. Most of our freeways here in So Cal are posted at 65 MPH but if you're not doing 80 or more you become their problem. Sorry, but if you want to drive that fast go around me.

The car pool lanes are the same way. For some reason people think it's a speeding lane and the same applies as above. Because I have my wife and daughters in the car I have to drive faster than they are, regardless of what the speed limit is or how much I'm already exceeding it? Nope.

John

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Here in WA it's only the 2 lane highways that are left to pass only and it's a driving "Rule" not a driving regulation as I read it in the drivers book a few years back. So it's not a moving violation to staying on the left, but it IS an offense warn-able, the 5 car rule is a ticket able offense. But nobody here4 in WA moves that slow on the roads... LOL

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
...they'll sit on yer arse until you move over and let them by, even if you're already doing 10 or 15 MPH over the posted speed limit. Most of our freeways here in So Cal are posted at 65 MPH but if you're not doing 80 or more you become their problem. Sorry, but if you want to drive that fast go around me.
This is the problem, they can't go around a lane hog. It is not your civic duty to control speed on a freeway. Make your overtaking pass and get the hell out of the way. If you are worried about your family, stay in the right lane.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Here in WA it's only the 2 lane highways that are left to pass only and it's a driving "Rule" not a driving regulation as I read it in the drivers book a few years back. So it's not a moving violation to staying on the left, but it IS an offense warn-able, the 5 car rule is a ticket able offense. But nobody here4 in WA moves that slow on the roads... LOL
WASHINGTON DRIVER GUIDE

On a road with two lanes traveling in opposite directions, you must drive on the right side of the road except when you are legally passing another vehicle.

On a road with two or more lanes traveling in the same direction, stay in the right lane except to pass. On a road with three or more lanes traveling in the same direction, if there is a lot of entering or exiting traffic, use the center travel lane.

Unless directed to do so by officials or signs, never drive on the shoulder of the road.

Passing – On a road with two lanes traveling in the same direction, the left-hand lane is intended to be used for passing slower vehicles. On roads with more than two lanes traveling in the same direction, use the right lane for slower speeds, the middle lanes for higher speeds, and the left-hand lane for passing only. If you pass on the right, the other driver may have difficulty seeing you and might suddenly change lanes in front of you. Never pass on the shoulder, whether it is paved or not. Other drivers will never expect you to be there and may pull off the road without looking.

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I like it. Yes, it is illegal to use the left lane in WA unless passing. Apparently, few drivers ever read the Driver's Manual, and fewer still read the signs saying the same thing on the roads. It is also illegal to delay more than 5 cars without pulling-over. It's a good thing for some driver's I'm not a cop.

David

http://www.leftlanedrivers.org/Images/slowertraffic.jpg
Same here! My son couldn't understand why i'd pull over on a street even to let cars go by when my tranny was messing up. But i'd have to drive 20-25 mph on a 35mph street for a couple miles or even more til it would decide to shift to 3rd and i know i wouldn't want to be behind me!! lol
Moving up here i'd have to drive around before getting on the freeway even. It really stunk!

I just don't like someone on my rear bumper so try to stay out of the way and sometimes speed up even more to get by slower traffic just to get out of the way.

John '65Falcon' when i moved up here to WA the first thing i noticed were the idiot picture signs not to cut off semi truck which of course are ignored. I really missed the LA freeways and still do sometimes as i had less of them on my rear bumper. I can see the "freeway wave" turning into a 15 car pileup with the ones up here, they are already only a couple feet from the car in front of them. lol Atlanta is a place you can get a ticket for going the speed limit because you are impeding traffic! But in my travels it seems every state and country i've driven in has their own way of doing it! I am thankful this isn't Italy!

Think i like yours better too Psig. I can see those stickers maybe working ok on an suv or truck as it just might be an official vehicle of some kind but on a kia, Xb or a smartcar i don't see it working too well with any of them. lol

Kultulz - The book says one thing, the drivers do the opposite, very few follow those regs. Especially the passing on the right even if the far left lane is empty they still tend to pass on the right more. Hmmm, maybe they think they are on a circle track where you always want the inside lane? lol

My main objective for this post was the silly stickers though, not the rules of the road which we could all argue over for years and it wouldn't change how anybody drives out there on the freeways and roads. I am in shock when someone actually lets me in front of them! Especially on the little 1/4mile three lane raceway i have to go down to get on base. The left lane ends basically the right is right turn only which everyone wants to be in and they will go 70 mph in a 40 to keep someone from pulling into the right lane, i see it all the time so i make sure i am in the right lane at the stop light so i dont' have to deal with them. Cops? They sit at the end sometimes but it's a flat road, people see them sitting there and mind their manners then. lol I don't understand why 2 or 3 seconds slower getting where they are going is such a big deal. I probably upset the ones behind me cause i let 2, 3, 4 cars in front of me if they want there.

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More like, "Move over, eh?"
That's how i thought it should be. You do know next time i see you, if i think of it i'm going to have to hear you say it! :)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Kultulz - The book says one thing, the drivers do the opposite, very few follow those regs. Especially the passing on the right even if the far left lane is empty they still tend to pass on the right more.
So, in your estimation, disregarding basic traffic law is OK? Then you have no reason to complain of how others drive.

PS- They pass on the right because they think Smokie won't see them speeding... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ohio is one state i drive through often were it seems semi's are susposed to be in the right lane cars in the left. I have driven the lenth of 75 and almost never have the chance to pass on the left.
I enjoy passing on the left and then moving back over. I think it helps break up the monotany of a drive.
As far as cutting off a semi. Sure try not to except to avoid a issue. Semi's have about taken the front end off of my car severl times, beginning to think its ok for them. Seen a lot of them playing with thier laptop while driving.

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, in your estimation, disregarding basic traffic law is OK? Then you have no reason to complain of how others drive.

PS- They pass on the right because they think Smokie won't see them speeding... :rolleyes:
Noooo i'm saying there is nothing i can do to mak everyone abide by the rules and laws of the road. I did not once say i disregarded traffic laws and if you go back and reread what i said you would know that. IN FACT i said i move over even when i shouldn't have to along with other things just to get out of their way. Sure like to know where you get the idea i said i didn't abide by the laws. But i can darn sure complain about others that don't and almost run me down or ride my bumper or cut right in front of me, pull out in front of me when i'm the only one on the road etc.

This is the last comment i am making to you on any of this. You are right, i am wrong in your eyes although i have not seen where i said anything about doing as i please on the highways. That is in your mind and nothing will change it. This thread was posted because i thought the stickers were amusing not to argue over traffic on the roads. If it totally becomes a big argument over highway laws and who isn't or is doing what i'll just delete the thread, it isn't worth the drama.

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I never seen you say anything like that shotrod. You're cool to drive with in my book! Kultulz is being a tard again. He's like that sometimes. Takes after me a little bit.
Other than that time i overswerved a bit when i thought that darn dump truck barreling onto the freeway was going to roll over and hit us or drive through us!! He was flat moving! And you trapped in the back seat! lol With the new shocks and springs on the front it shouldn't act like that now though! I sure notice the difference in cornering and bouncy roads. Thanks to the FM project team!

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've noticed that a lot of people seem to think there are degrees of traffic offenses. The same scofflaws who park on your tail when you are doing the speed limit or better in the left lane while passing slower cars will stay there until you move over. They they seem to think that there is nothing wrong with going well over the speed limit but wouldn't dream of passing on the right.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
This is the last comment i am making to you on any of this. You are right, i am wrong in your eyes although i have not seen where i said anything about doing as i please on the highways. That is in your mind and nothing will change it. This thread was posted because i thought the stickers were amusing not to argue over traffic on the roads. If it totally becomes a big argument over highway laws and who isn't or is doing what i'll just delete the thread, it isn't worth the drama.
:bicker:

:eek:

Sorry I ruffled your tail feathers... I thought there was a discussion going on here.

Now let me get this right, is this out first tiff? Does this also mean you will not drive us to the prom in your 64?

Would a little kiss and pretty get me back in good with you?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts