Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a second vehicle for traveling to work because gas is so costly. My boss has a 96 Probe V6 manual trans he is trying to sell me. What kind of mileage should this car get? He got this from one of his customers a year ago and it has been sitting. He has no idea of what the mileage should be.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I have a friend that has a '94 Probe GT with 176,000 miles...gets 34 mpg highway, 28 city.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just went to fuel economy .gov. It is a pretty neat site but I am wondering the accuracy of it. The Probe is rated at 21/27 and my F150 is rated at 16/21. My truck never got that kind of mileage. When I bought it with16k it would do best of almost 19 and tye city just plain sucks. I wopuld think the Probe would do a little better on the highway then the rated 27. Mavman says 34 on the highway which would be great. This $2.90 a gallon hurts the wallet.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
My 03 Lightning is rated at 12/15. I routinely get 15/22...and that's calculated by mileage divided by gallons used.

The Fuel economy.gov site is just a guideline. How you drive, vehicle condition, etc....has more to do with it than anything else.

If I drive it like a Lightning was designed to drive, it gets around 15 max...10-12 in the city. If I drive it easy I can get as high as 22. And at 2.98/gal for fuel...driving any other way than easy is pretty much out of the question!

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Its spot on with my dad and his 02 F150 Harley. He says he can squeeze 14mpg out of it if he is careful.

And while I do not keep track of the mpg in my 04 cobra. I think its damn good on gas!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I can get better than the EPA on my Volvo, by 2-3 MPG depending, like everyone said, on how I drive. I can also get much worse.

EPA certs are just a generic based on average stop and go and average speeds and driving patterns of people.

EPA gives you a good general guideline.

·
Registered
692 Posts
On 2006-05-18 17:33, Blue Fastback wrote:
I just went to fuel economy .gov. It is a pretty neat site but I am wondering the accuracy of it. The Probe is rated at 21/27 and my F150 is rated at 16/21. My truck never got that kind of mileage. When I bought it with16k it would do best of almost 19 and tye city just plain sucks. I wopuld think the Probe would do a little better on the highway then the rated 27. Mavman says 34 on the highway which would be great. This $2.90 a gallon hurts the wallet.
My 96 Probe almost never got much better than 27. I honestly think it was geared too high. In the 55-65 range it seemed to be out of the power band too much. I got better mileage running at 70+

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
think about it for a sec. If you spend say $1500 on this car to get better mileage then how long is it going to take you to make up the differance on the cost of gas?
For example, if you drove 50 miles a day round trip to work and back in a month you would have spent $198 in gas @ 15mpg and $2.90 a gallon.
On a car with 25 mpg your cost goes down to $116 a month. A savings of $82. Wow right?
I dont think so. if said car cost $1500 it will take 18 months to just break even before you start "saving money" on gas. (1500 divided by 82)
Obviously this can change depending on how much money the dam oil companies need and how much the car in question is, but the math is the same.
Interesting note. A co-worker of mine has a 2004 dodge ram 1500 that was sucking gas on his 100 mile round trip to work. Now he decides to get a economy car to save gas. He still has the truck sitting in his garage gathering dust. The thing is hes STILL paying the same truck payment till 2008 and insurance wether the thing is driving or not And Now he has Another payment and insurance for his econo car . just to save some $ on gas. (???) Just doesnt make scence to me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 71hotrodpinto on 5/19/06 9:10pm ]</font>

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would think that if you still have a vehicle that you are making payments on (requiring full coverage insurance because of it) it will be very hard to save money overall buying another car for better gas milage.

Now some situations are worth it. I bought a SUV at auction a month or so ago(was really looking for a small truck again), since me and my wife only had one running vehicle. I thought I would take it and let my wife drive the econo box that we already had. Unfortunately she fell in love with the SUV (her drive to work is about 3 times the distance that mine is), but because we work on complete oppostion sides of the metro area we are in, we still save enough in gas to pay the insurance on the second vehicle every month. Plus the convenience factor for us. For the econobox, I have to fill up about 1 time for every 3 or so times I had to before. Now if I could convince her to drive the econobox instead we could save a lot more.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

think about it for a sec. If you spend say $1500 on this car to get better mileage then how long is it going to take you to make up the differance on the cost of gas?
For example, if you drove 50 miles a day round trip to work and back in a month you would have spent $198 in gas @ 15mpg and $2.90 a gallon.
On a car with 25 mpg your cost goes down to $116 a month. A savings of $82. Wow right?
I dont think so. if said car cost $1500 it will take 18 months to just break even before you start "saving money" on gas. (1500 divided by 82)
Obviously this can change depending on how much money the dam oil companies need and how much the car in question is, but the math is the same.
Interesting note. A co-worker of mine has a 2004 dodge ram 1500 that was sucking gas on his 100 mile round trip to work. Now he decides to get a economy car to save gas. He still has the truck sitting in his garage gathering dust. The thing is hes STILL paying the same truck payment till 2008 and insurance wether the thing is driving or not And Now he has Another payment and insurance for his econo car . just to save some $ on gas. (???) Just doesnt make scence to me.

I will be most likely switching jobs soon becase the economy suck so bad I cant make much money working near my house and will have to drive 60 miles round trip=300 miles a week plus maybe 100 miles of running to the store or what ever. Thats 400 miles a week or more. Thats a lot of driving an a thirsty F150 that is paid for. If I was still making payments on the F150 it would be stupid. The wife has a lease car also and we had to turn in a little early because she was coming up on the mileage before date. She could also use this car to run around a little to free up the mileage on her lease car. I think it will pay for itself in less then 1 year. I would rather save the gas for my other thirsty Fastback that runs on 94 octane at $3.40 a gallon and 10 mpg?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
well sounds like you will pay for it sooner that the senario that i presented. I used my circumstanses for the example. Looks like youll save around 121 a month in gas. So for a $1500 car it will take 12.4 months to pay for itself.
Plus like you said if the wife will use it as well to save the lease miles that will help as well.
I just wanted to throw the senario out there just in case you didnt run the numbers first before leaping. As I mentioned ive seen people do this before and they end up spending more in the long run.
Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts