Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the best swap kit for putting a 429-460 in the 67-70 stangs.By best I mean ease of installation,function and price?Maybe someone else I haven't heard of?I don't want to cut up anything or have to change anything that can't be changed back.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Also, check AutoKrafters.com. They are similar to Crites and MPG.

here are some pics of the AK headers designed for BBF in 67-70 Mustang. The isolators are bolted to the engine.

Before you ask, no, I didn't have this in a Mustang, but the guy I acquired them from did. I recently sold them.

http://community.webshots.com/album/28666636DHNdZfHWZB

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
MPG makes a better kit for the '67-'68 Mustangs which sits the 460 down lower than the Crites kit and really will allow the use of the Victor 460 intake with Dominator under the stock hood without holes for carb clearance but it will be close to the hood. The Crites kit sits a lot higher but the MPG swap kit won't work in my '68 Falcon wagon because of the shock towers being closer together at the bottom. The Crites kit for a '66 Fairlane is the only kit that will work without mods on my car. I really wanted the MPG kit though. The MPG kit is $650 with headers and motor mounts but the Crites kit is $450 for their headers and engine mounts. I suggest the MPG kit if at all possible.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did some checking by phone today on swap kits.Lots of little details they don't tell you about in their adds.I am under the impression that 67-70 mustang engine compartments are identicle.Guy at Crites says the 69-70s are two inches longer.Can anyone tell me for sure?,radiator clearance is the issue here.Crites says I can't run a fan on the engine even with the short t-bird pump,must run electric fans pushing from the front.Can't find much info on Karcrafters just resto stuff(thanks for the pics)juststrokin.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 3/13/02 12:54am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Frdnut,
I have the frame adapters for this swap. Nothing else. Think I bought them from Mustangs Unlimited. I had thought I was going to use them in my 68, but went with the R&C setup instead. Interested? Got anything to swap?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MPG is MPG HEAD SERVICE they make some neat products probably most famous for their exhaust port plates.They also make a swap kit using their own design mounts and headers.As for your frame mounts if I get the Crites kit the mounts come as a package so by the time I got them from you and shipped them up here to Canada I don't think it would be worth while but thanks for the offer and I will keep you in mind as I check this out closer.
By the way what is R&C

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 3/13/02 4:10am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 3/13/02 4:10am ]</font>

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anybody checked out the shortie headers from dark horse performance?Looks like they would be an easy swap allright but I wonder how much power they would cost over long tubes.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I took a look at the MPG site. It looks to me like their kit calls for removing the crossmember in the engine compartment. I'm not sure I like that for a street car.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a lot of little things they didn't mention like you need a small style starter, you have to redrill two holes in your frame to lower your idler arm,some piece of tin he said you have to cut off the a-arm,no swaybar,must fabricate a bracket for power steering slave cylinder,I already have the dropped one but he said it probably wouldn't work.He said you can keep lower brace but its not in the picture in the article I have so who knows?But I'm not knockin it, it sounds good once you get it in there,lots of hood and tranny clearance.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
89coupe did you buy the Crites Kit for your 68 Falcon?I was not aware they had a different engine compartment than the stangs.I know you said you prefer the MPG kit but is it just because of the hieght issue or is there something else you don't like about the Crites setup,especially if you have one you would know.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
The '66-'69 Falcon engine bay is narrower at the bottom of the shock towers by 1" per side than the '67-'68 Mustangs so the MPG headers having 1/2" clearance per side on the Mustangs will not clear the Falcon shock towers. The Falcon core supports don't have the big block radiator size opening either like the 390 '67-'68 Mustangs do. It's possible the engine bay is a little shorter too but not sure about that yet. The '68-'69 Fairlanes, Torinos, Cyclones, & Montegos are only 1/2" narrower per side at bottoms of shock towers where headers come close. The MPG 460 headers will be close to the shock towers but will clear just barely. The shock mounts on top of the shock towers on my Falcon are 1" farther apart than on my dad/s '68 390 GT Cyclone and the '68 Torino. I don't want to cut my shock towers for clearance because I will be stressing mine enough as it is without weakening them more. I wanted the hood clearance and bellhousing bolt clearance of the MPG kit but I had to order the 460 swap kit from Crites for a '66 Fairlane like David Kee did('69 Falcon w/429 and 4spd cover story last month) with his '69 Falcon. I won't have hood clearance or bellhousing bolt access meaning the 460 will have to come out in order to remove the C-4. The Crites kit positions the engine higher up and to the back while MPG brings engine foreward 1" and down 1". Since I have manual brakes and manual steering, I have no other clearance issues. The MPG kit is a better quality kit and is more friendly space wise in engine compartment. The guys at MPG really are friendly and try to answer all questions while Crites attitude is if you want it, you'll get it so don't waste our time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts