Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with Mr Maier himself of Maier racing. It surprised me that he was answering customer calls directly. He mentioned that he was 73 and still working 50 hours a week. I hope I'm doing half that well when I hit my 70's.

My bumper order seems to have gotten lost in space and I had called before asking where it went. Someone was supposed to call me back and never did. The money left my bank account 2 weeks ago so the parts should have shipped and got to me by now. He wasn't happy that my stuff had not gone out.

We got to talking about fiberglass parts and he told me his company recently came out with a new fiberglass rear bumper with built in studs so no exposed bolt heads and it is tucked in tighter to the rear end than the stock bumper or the old fiberglass bumpers are so it closes up the bumper gap.

He offered me one at a decent discount because my order had been mishandled by somebody. He wanted a name but I didn't catch the name of the people I had talked to before. Based on my impression of Mr Maier I think some general ass chewing is probably going on right now at his company on handling customer orders and phone calls.

I opted for the new bumper which should ship on friday. It does cost more than the basic bumper which I would expect considering the extra work required to make it. I will post photos when it comes in and I get it fitted on my car. It should be really sweet based on his description of how they designed it.

I'm still also planning to get the new Maier hood also and the spoiler deck lid.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The hood is around $439.95 + a boxing and truck freight fee direct from Maier Racing. It will take the stock hood hinges with no springs and the stock hood latch. I don't know if it has any other metal bracing but I suspect not.

I just talked with CJ Pony Parts today about getting this hood from them since they carry the Maier parts. Their truck fright is cheaper and there are no additional boxing fees. I'm saving for the hood and deck lid which they said would still be the same, single truck freight fee of $120.

Here are the first photos of the bumper. I just got it in today. First is a shot of the back of bumper showing the 4 studs glassed in. This eliminates the brackets so its just a little more weight off the car. They didn't mention this but I would suspect that there will need to be some small rubberized washers between the bumper and the back of the car. I haven't trial fitted it yet so I don't know for sure.

Shot of the back of the bumper.

I got the front bumper too but you have to drill the bolt holes for it. They are all underneath so if you black the caps(color match, my car is black so) they pretty much disappear. There is no saving on the bracket weight though. I may re-install my R model front valance with some fog lamps in the big mouth cut out. I don't know right now.

Hard to believe that my foot is still swolen from the, cough, axe incident.

Maier also has this hood which is pretty neat looking and with my headers the louvres are a very functional addition. I think under the hood heat is one of the big reasons these fiberglass hoods can warple(yes it is a word, LOL) on you.

Fresh air carb pan for the cowl hood;

1 - 7 of 7 Posts