Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oldfart, would you happen to have been in Amarillo during 66 to 68 time frame? Would you have been old enough to drive and attend the Amarillo drag strip? That's were I saw my first 'Funny Cars' and what a show for a young country boy. My '64 Galaxie was on that strip a time or two. Had a buddy that worked refueling at the air port and every so often he would load it up with that good stuff and we'd head out to the races.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Nope wasnt quite old enough for that in those years.... First time to strip for me was 1973 NHRA World Finals held here. (Amarillo) The strip is still in operation just so you know, altho they have taken the "general admission" (south side) seating out. (Its all on the pit side now) (north) the pedestrian bridge is still in place tho....If i remember correctly they did the Finals there for 3 years but dont quote me on that... Its no longer a NHRA track tho its IHRA now...Home-Amarillo Dragway

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember it being NHRA back in the day. I'm planning a cruise back out there one of these days. I'm going to stop by but, won't be running the strip this time. Just a long vacation tour around the good old U.S.A. Maybe riding a Harley.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts