Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, what's the deal w/ these? I see where the msd digital e-curve units are selling for like $330 on ebay new, it says they are a stand alone unit and can dial in all kinds of curves, set a rpm limit all w/o using a 6al box. This sounds nice but do they really do the job of a normal msd dizzy hooked up to a 6al box. Which would give a better spark? If the e-curve really is all that it might be nice not having to mount a box as well. This would be in a street car application. Just trying to decide which route to take. I would also upgrade the coil as well to the blaster most likely. Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I almost bought one for my 331. It was about $400 + 70 for the steel gear. I decided to be cheap and get a Duraspark II with a MSD Cap-a-Dapt.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
In summer 06, I voiced my opinion about these buggers after I seen one in a car at a local show. The digital electronics inside of a high voltage environment is not an experiment I would want to try on my engine.

The two normally do not mix very well. High voltage destroys digital electronics. Worse possible combo to put the two only 2 inches from each other.

The electronics module I have seen looked very fragile. For $150.00, a good old mechanical dizy that has 30 years experiance on the track is the way to go. The only thing you gain by getting one of these new buggers is the ability to change your advance curve in 5 minutes vs 15 minutes with a mechanical set up.

Is the time you save really worth an experimental device that can blow up your engine when the electonics fail....?

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
I though about running a crane one, but then thought to myself how often do I change my timing curves anyway? So I bought an accel distributor and one of their boxes instead.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I have the Mallory Max Fire.......getting ready to install it soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts