Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have my MSD ready to run in my 289 set with two blue advance springs and the base timing at 16 BTDC. The mechanical advance is set with the one that came with the distributor. I believe it is the blue which is 21*. Now MSD states that ''use as much initial advance without encountering starter load'' I can actually right now turn my initial past 20 degrees and have no starter load isuue. I am a little worried that this is the wrong direction...Maybe I should change the bushing to the next size which is the silver. It has a crank value of 25* Then I would have my initial down to compensate that. Any suggestions :confused:

Thanks

Greg:)

·
Subscriber
626 Posts
Sounds like your "ready to run" is ready to run...

If it likes 16*BTDC and you have 21* advance, leave it alone....

I don't know your motor, but if it (the advance) is all in by say 2800-3200
then you're right where you want to be..

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Right now I have my MSD ready to run in my 289 set with two blue advance springs and the base timing at 16 BTDC. The mechanical advance is set with the one that came with the distributor. I believe it is the blue which is 21*. Now MSD states that ''use as much initial advance without encountering starter load'' I can actually right now turn my initial past 20 degrees and have no starter load isuue. I am a little worried that this is the wrong direction...Maybe I should change the bushing to the next size which is the silver. It has a crank value of 25* Then I would have my initial down to compensate that. Any suggestions :confused:

Thanks

Greg:)
try it . you wont know till you do . thing its called tuning

·
Registered
674 Posts
I run the black ring in all my builds. Have even cut my own rings for less mechanical advance on some. Have switched to 6series programable ones were possable. Todays fuel likes more initial and less total.
You might be good at 20 initial and 36 total without vacuum advance. If you have vacuum advance disconnect it untill inital and total mechanical is correct.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I run 18 initial and 38 total most of the time. I can go 40 total depending on weather and what fuel I'm running. On a milder generation of this engine I ran 16 and 36. My dizzy is one of the MSD pro billet ones. That is a really good piece of equipment. Which ever springs I have put all the timing in by 3000. I leave the line at 4750 so there's no timing curve except for easing to the line and driving back up the return road. I have run with it locked out before with no noticable problems too.

I said all this just to give you something to compare with. Every engine is its own beast so you have to find what it likes.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well just had to see if there may be a difference. Seems that setting the car with the silver bushing which is 25* mechanical and the initial at 12-14 * gives the car a better operation at the lower range in the rpm. As well I found it starts a better. Not too much cranking .Test and tune...Gotta like the easy set up on this unit. I didn't know today's fuels where that much different except without the lead and the added ethanol. I usually buy Chevron 94 with out ethanol. :)

Thanks

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts