Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
Can someone enlighten me on waht springs I should run on my MSD and how the advance works.
I have only ever run an old point dizz with vacuum adv. I ve read it 10 times and still cannot get it.
Currently the dizzy has the Heaviest springs (slowest advance) that were in it from MSD...
Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Pick the springs that give you full advance at about 3000rpm... on the charts that came with your distributor manual, it's the 3rd or 4th chart... I can't remember for sure but I think you want the two light blue springs?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Basically there are little weights on levers - the faster the distributor spins, the more the weights pull against those springs - advancing the timing by shifting the rotor further ahead in relation to the shaft.

the silver springs have a slow advance curve, I don't think they come in all the way until 4500 RPM. I put both light blue springs on mine (the next strongest) and its all in by 3750 RPM.

That just changes the advance profile - to change the total advance, you change the little bushing on the shaft, which limits the range of the advance. A smaller bushing means more total advance, which will come in as dictated by the spring weight. It comes set with 21º total mech advance.

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/8350_8352_8354_frm23728.pdf

Page 3 and 4

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perfect.
Its clearer now when its in laymans terms.
Thanks
TK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts