Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I thought my car was starting to get reliable lol

Out and about cruisin yesterday and car starts to run rough, then come up to a stop sign push in clutch and brake to stop, car dies.. Thinking thats weird so I try to start it up again, nothing, no cough, spit, fart or anything...

So I push the car back a little bit out of the way, pop the hood and have a look for anything out of the ordinary burnt wires etc. Also, look under the dash for a blown fuse, nothing. Pull off the air cleaner to make sure I've got fuel and I do... lots. So now I'm at the ignition.. A little side note... the car hasn't been running or starting like it used to which doesn't help the igntion's case now...

So I get my dad down... luckily I was about 5 mins from home. He comes with a test light and the usual screw drivers and misc broken down car tools. We start checking for power. MSD box has power... Coil No Power, No spark, Power thru the engine harness up to the coil... Well we couldn't make anything of it at the side of the road so we zipped home got the truck and trailer and trailered it back.

Starting looking at this morning... And I tested the box as per msd instructions for a magnet triggered system

Oh yah here's what I'm using for the igntion
MSD 6AL box
MSD Pro Billet Small Dia Dizzy
MSD Blaster2 Coil
MSD Super Conductor Wires

When shorting the jumper wire thru the magnet lead off the box I get spark out of the coil wire... Odd, so now I'm getting spark? It's not mulitple spark but it is spark. So then I test the ohms coming of of the module in the dizzy, supposed to be beween 400-900 ohms. Its 600... so thats no the problem. Also, when you rotate the distributor shaft the ohms should change... This is also happening...

So I thought I'd hook everything back up and see if I could get any action, nothing.
I'm totally dumfounded, have no idea what it could be.

Any of you had this problem before? Similiar problem? Tips/suggestions?

Thanks for the help in advance...
Tom

·
Registered
945 Posts
Probably your coil has/is failing. Had a similar experience some time ago.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My set up is MSD 6AL box, MSD Blaster 3 coil, MSD 8579 billet distributor. All was good for 2600 miles and 4 years of summer cruising. However earlier this summer, the engine just flat quit sitting at a stop sign and wouldn't restart. After sitting 20 mins, it fired right up. I replaced the cap, rotor, and mag pickup in the distributor. I also discovered that the alternator was not working properly and replaced it too. All was OK for about a month when the same thing happened at a red light (a very busy red light). I did some serious testing at this point and tried everything to get the engine to quit; but the only malfunction I could get it to do was not fire back up after shutting it off after an extended idle period (letting the heat build up under the hood). Wait 15-20 mins and it would refire OK. This testing was done with two different coils with no difference. At this point, I decided to integrate a Duraspark II ignition box into the ignition system; to be able to switch between the MSD and Duraspark boxes. I'm now running under the Duraspark box and if all remains OK, I will remove the MSD 6AL box and see if MSD can fix it. In the mean time, I can still use the car. The Duraspark box drives the MSD distributor and MSD coil just fine. Even if they get the box fixed, I'm going to continue to have both boxes and two coils. To switch between the two systems, all I have to do is throw a switch, move the distributor connector plug to one or the other, and move the coil wire to the other coil. This takes about 30 secs and I'm running on another box and coil. Even the tach gets its input switched automatically when I throw the switch since the tach feed is different under each system. It's a real confidence booster knowing I can get home.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The pickup coil in the dizzy is going bad.
Is a Ford pickup. So local parts store has it in stock.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
check the resistance at the coil. from negative to positive it should have one reading fairly low(10 to 200 or so) from the negative to the coil tower lead should be higher (10000 to 20000) and from the positive to the coil tower should be lower (10 to 200).
if you get infinity (open) the coil has a broken wire in it.
If you get no high reading from the tower connection to either of the others you have a shorted coil.
both of those mean a new coil
Because you get a spark from the coil when bypassing the trigger you may have to reset the gap, replace the trigger or replace the box. MSD boxes as a rule have short lives on the street. I would recommend replacing the system with something else.
Paul

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update...
Pulled the dizzy out and it looks as tho the gear has sheared right in half.... really good news eh?
So now the car is coming off the road and going to sit for a while... I've had enough of it for the year..
What a season 3 weeks!!!
Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts