Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to figure out what curve I should use on my ready to run Msd distributor. Now it comes with the instructions and charts, but not really sure what would be the best choice. I would think that this could turn into a trial and error thing. It has two heavy springs that are the factory curve . Then there is changing the bushings as well. Any help would be great !!!

Cheers

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well just my update . Took the two heavy springs off and put the two light silver ones on. Seems to have a lot more get up and go. Very smooth acceleration. Not sure if I am going in the right direction but will give it more tuning time. Nothing like trial and error. Still have to figure out if changing the bushings will be the way to go. I have the timing set at 16* BTDC and with the stock bushing at 21* mechanical it should be close.

Greg

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I have the same dist. I have not yet run the motor on the street. Keep us updated on what you find out. I will be doing the same thing to mine so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far the change from the heavy stock springs was an improvement. The car seemed that it was not pulling too quick off the line. Kept the base timing at 16* BTDC and went to the two smaller silver springs worked well. Will post more when we get going on the road again. Great Northwest weather.....Rain in the forecast.

Cheers

Greg

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
It's been a long time since I messed with mine, think I changed the bushing to one size smaller and the lighter springs like you said. The bushing was a PITA to change, probably not worth the ~2 degrees of difference really, considering I'm not dyno tuning it's hard to tell what's optimal by seat of the pants. Think I am running about 16 initial, timing is tough. I've heard keep increasing timing 'til you start to hear pinging (usually under moderate load around 2K RPM), then back it off a couple degrees. That might get you a good safe timing, but there's the chance you'd end up with more timing than optimal. Seems like SBF like around 35-38* total timing all in at about 3000rpm (which I think the lighter springs get you the right RPM).

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I looked at the heavy springs I thought there may be an issue . By going to the lighter ones I did find an improvement. Test and tune this weekend

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found that the lighter springs seemed to get a more crisp off the line feel. The real test was after all my adjustments at home with the springs and jetting, I was close when my car hit the dyno today. Jetting in the primary was on, the two blue springs and the 21* bushing were good in the MSD. My base timing of 16 degrees was on as well. Found my engine likes a lot of initial timing.

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts