Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Mach1 that we recently acquired which has a 428 Cobra Jet. I purchased an MSD Ready to run distributor model 8595 as well as new MSD 8.5mm wires and new plugs for the Mach. I could never get the new distributor to run. I am positive I have the firing order correct and after multiple attempts to install the distributor without running success, I decided to reinstall the old distributor. It fired right up and runs very smooth. I called MSD tech and they told me that partiuclar distributor needs 12 volts to the coil to run. After checking the voltage to the coil with my multimeter, I am only getting 4 volts to the positive post of the coil. Any suggestions on how to correct the problem would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I seems that you have that common issue of the Mustang . It comes from the factory with a ''fat'' pink resistor wire under the dash . this wire lowers the voltage after the car has started from 12v to around 6-8 ...I believe. This is so the points in the system won't burn out. I had to go under the dash and splice in a new wire after removing the pink wire. This gave me 12v to the MSD ready to run.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I agree with Greg. Run a new wire from the switch to the coil and it should run. Mine works flawlessly.

Matt

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm having the same problem with the same distributer in my 67 galaxie.can I see if this is the problem by running a direct wire from the pos terminal to the + terminal on the coil?

·
Premium Member
5,572 Posts
I'm having the same problem with the same distributer in my 67 galaxie.can I see if this is the problem by running a direct wire from the pos terminal to the + terminal on the coil?
That's what I would do. Remember that to kill the engine you will have to detach the wire.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

Your car should have the same resistor wire as in the OP's situation. Bypass the resistor after the ignition switch and all should be good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just put in the 12v relay from Pertronix. The resistor wire stays intact (although at this point why would I go back to points?). Rocketman makes a relay that you can switch, a lot of cougar guys are running those. Or, like everyone else said, just bypass the resistor wire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts