Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
That depends... if you just have the bronze 'bushing' type muffler bearings, then supposedly they're better than stock. But for REAL performance, look into full roller muffler bearings.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I perfer the knutsen style myself. They float on air, no friction.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
No matter what kind you have ...

If they come loose the whole system starts to sound like S#!% ...

I use the bushings to avoid this problem.

·
Registered
749 Posts
oh yeah....I run at least a coupe of extra ones now and use peanut butter to pack em. It smells good too. Always makes me want a piece of toast and a cup of hot chocolate when the car is runnin'.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yep, the ricers gotta special order the 6" I.D. muffler bearings because of the king size tips they run on their 1 1/2" exhaust pipes.....

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Peanut butter?? I've heard of using maple syrup, but peanut butter, that's just plain weird.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If you use peanut butter, make sure it doesn't have peanut chunks in it. That could damage the bearings.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Well, personally I have seen no gains from new muffler bearings, UNLESS you port your tail pipe hangers first.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Dayummmmm........Chrome reverse intake manifold, eh?................I'm getting out my jegs and summit catalogs right now!!!!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
What type of muffler bearings are you using?? Tapered roller, spherical? Chrome is good (I've got a chrome one at my desk at H-D, where everything is chrome!), but superfinished high carbon steel has got it's advantages....

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Back when I use to use bearings (before I switched to bushings) I just used the same type that come in rollerskates ...

They proved to be the most cost effective ... You can buy them anywhere and they are real inexpensive.

I just got tired of the rattling, whirring sound when they got loose ... The bushings never do that

·
Registered
148 Posts
The biggest mistake I see people make is buying the cheap Chinese built muffler bearings. I use the premium Turkish kits that include the niffle pins. The cost is a little more but the quality is indescribable.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts