Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
For my 351 powered 67Mustang I am looking for a good sounding muffler.
Now I have build a 2 1/2 double exhaust with selfmade X-pipe and the cheap raptor mufflers.
I read the 11.99 article and read in some other posts the X-pipe works the best with an "thru" flowing muffler.
There are now three mufflers I found:
Edelbrock RPM-series muffler
Flowtech terminator muffler
Dynomax Ultra-flo muffler

now I have to choose !????

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you need the engine specs:
79 351W
the block is prepped with a cam (more torque)by comp-cam (This block was in a heavy LTD)
Idle is smooth.
Homeported 302 heads (60 cc chamber)
Compression ratio about 10 to 1.
RPM intake and 600 cfm edelbrock carb.

Hope to get this way 250 rwhp .

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
About the best thing I could advise would be this. If you hear a car who's exhaust sound you really like, stop the guy and ask him what he's running. Car clubs meetings are a place to sit and listen as well. I would say go with a "turbo" style muffler first. If you don't like it you can always change them to a flowmaster or glasspacks. They are each cool in their own ways so pick a sound you like. Dynomax has some sounds on their website. Some surfing around on the net my kick up some other places with sounds as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It depends upon what you want your car to sound like, a chambered muffler is going to sound more agressive than a standard turbo style muffler. Are you looking for all out power or sound? I had dynomax super turbos, and they sounded good, but were a little loud for my taste, so I now went with Hooker Max Flows because from what I've been told they are real quiet and flow quite well. I dunno for sure but I'll know of friday when I fire up the car to get the cobwebs out.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Good ole glass packs sound mean with an x pipe, plus they're dirt cheap. If you don't like 'em, you're only out 25 or 30 bucks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts