Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
22,127 Posts
Gary, like a burned out glass pack? :) I never heard of turbo so clueless. But find the most free flowing type and you'll be good. Straight pipes get a little loud.

·
Registered
10,461 Posts
+1. Once upon a time there were stock, 'turbo' stock and glasspacks. The turbo mufflers were free-flowing and often straight-through design, but made stock sound as the small turbo's of the day also acted as a mufflers in themselves. If used on an NA engine, the effect was between stock and a glasspack due to the greater internal volume. Then along came all the chambered aftermarket mufflers and everything else we see today.

Today, anything stock shape but louder than stock is often called 'turbo', so you can't trust that label. As Gary said, the straight-through performance mufflers (such as certain DynoMax/Walker, Magnaflow, Hooker Aerochamber, and many others) are the choice. Two things to watch for in any muffler shopping - core tube size and type of perforations in the core tube - as they both strongly affect flow.

Some mufflers can have a 3" inlet and outlet, but neck-down to only a 2.5" core tube. :tdn: Others, such as many classic glasspacks have louvered perforations that project into the exhaust flow rather than just clean holes or slots. This also reduces flow with turbulence and effectively reducing the flow area of the core tube. :tdn:

Finally, unless looking for sound just shy of open headers, use the larger volume mufflers. While resonators can be added if smaller ones are too loud, the chaining of even efficient mufflers and resonators can further reduce flow compared to single higher-volume mufflers. That said, straight-through resonators are the next best option for systems that are too loud for neighbors or local police.

David

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 3" Thrush chambered mufflers attached to 18" x 3 1/2" header extensions onto long tube Crite's headers attached to a 475 or 500 horsepower 466 (3" exhaust pipes running to the axle housing). I really enjoyed the sound, but there is a State Patrol barricks about a mile from my house located right at the on ramp of the outerbelt :(. I thought I had better make it quieter so I put 28' x 3" Cherry bomb mufflers onto the Thrush chambered mufflers in place of the exhaust pipes. Really quieted it down, actually it sounds pretty good. I have read all the muffler comparisons I could find and it seems like the expensive mufflers aren't much better than the cheapies, except maybe better materials. I believe Thrush is made be DynoMax? Flowmasters are referred to as 'blowmasters' :tdn: on the Big Block Ford forums, so they are out.
I have never found a comparison between Chambered and Turbo mufflers so I thought I would ask the experts. Eventually I plan to extend the exhaust to the rear bumper but want to make sure I have the best flowing stuff before I do. My Gal will only get 8 or 9 miles per gallon anyway so I want as few restrictions as possible Any advice is really appreciated.
Thanks for the help guys. :)

·
Registered
10,461 Posts
Thrush is now part of DynoMax which is a sub of Walker. There are some good chambered street mufflers out there, but a general recommendation is for straight-through. For cruise mileage, flow is not as big a concern, and what you have should be fine for that. I would expect better than 9 mpg with good fuel and spark tuning, unless you have a high-stall converter (strip setup) with cruise RPMs outside of the stall, or gearing that is outside the torque band of your cam.

David

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thrush is now part of DynoMax which is a sub of Walker. There are some good chambered street mufflers out there, but a general recommendation is for straight-through. For cruise mileage, flow is not as big a concern, and what you have should be fine for that. I would expect better than 9 mpg with good fuel and spark tuning, unless you have a high-stall converter (strip setup) with cruise RPMs outside of the stall, or gearing that is outside the torque band of your cam.

David
I am hoping for better mileage than that. My power band is 3000 to 6500, but it's advanced 2* at the crank. 'Crower' said that would drop my power band down about 300 to 350 rpm. He suggested a 3000 stall convertor (mostly street driven), mine is a Boss Hog 2800 to 3200. It's an 11 to 1 motor with singh grooves cut in the heads (D0VE-C's). I'm running 93 Octane Sunoco fuel with no sign of detonation. Running 3.70 gears and 27.8" tall tires so I will be in my power band from 60 mph up in high gear, C6 tranny. I built the motor but will have my mechanic fine tune it. He and his wife have matching Fox body Mustangs with 557's that they race. His is supercharged ;).
Thanks for the help, you have given me very good advice in the past, as well as others. :D
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re

A muffler is a device for reducing the amount of noise emitted by the exhaust of an internal combustion engine. Mufflers are installed within the exhaust system of most internal combustion engines, although the muffler is not designed to serve any primary exhaust function. The muffler is engineered as an soundproofing device designed to reduce the loudness of the sound pressure created by the engine by way of Acoustic quieting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.