Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody could tell me what kind of transmission to go with in my 66 Mustang 289. I have been told by several people to go with a top loader and that top loaders are the best. But are they really that much better then the t-10. Also does anybody have a 4 speed transmission or know where i could get one for a half way decent price?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ok, the 4 speed toploader is a great tranny. But if you are going to put in a whole new tranny, do the T-5 swap. You wont regret it. I just did it in my 66 also. I love it. I have the stock rearend gears in it, and you could tell a difference, but i have a pair of 4.11's comming in this weekend, it sould be great!!! True you will not see your Gas millage go up with these gears, but it will stay about the same as stock with the OD. SO you will have bad A$$ launches, with cruise-abilty on the freeway. The T5 swap is pretty easy, just make sure to use the T5 bellhousing. So if you were going to buy a toploader for even like 300 bucks, it is way worth it to spend a little more on the T5 swap.
Heres how mine went: T5:$400 Crossmember&bellhousing spacer:$150, that simple!So for 250 more you can run 4.11s easy!!! No better way (other than pure HP!) to beat those Rice-Rockets off the line!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts