Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As recently I blew up my power booster, I'll change the complete setup.
I bought a kit from NPD and on the recommended parts, I've bought a residual pressure valve because according the link:

2B091-7BU / RESIDUAL PRESSURE VALVE

RESIDUAL PRESSURE VALVE, 10 LBS, REQUIRED FOR USE IN SOME POWER BRAKE CONVERSIONS, 3/16 INCH LINE FITTINGS

What will happen if I use it and it was not required? Constant small pressure on the rear calipers which will brake the car?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Dylan

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
What kind of calipers are you going to use? I am using the racheting type and do not need the valve.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of calipers are you going to use? I am using the racheting type and do not need the valve.
For the front:

Front Caliper: 1999 - 2004 PBR aluminum twin piston 40.5mm (1.59") dia or 2000 Mustang Cobra "R" Brembo four piston racing calipers

and for the rear

I was told it's from a F150 truck.

Thanks,

Dylan

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Do not use it, or if it's already installed, open it and remove the valve parts. Residual pressure valves are for two things - drum brakes (to hold some pressure, mostly to prevent cup seal leaks), and for discs where the calipers are higher than the master cylinder, like under-mount masters on lowered roadsters.

Disc systems can have residual with no harm up to about 2 pounds maximum and only when low-mount. Higher psi will cause drag. "Normal" systems like yours should have zero residual on the discs. 8 to 10 pound residual valves are for all drum brakes, if one is not already in the master cylinder port.

David

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SSBC's reply:

Residual pressure valves are only used on Hot Rods when the master cylinder is mounted under the floor. You won’t need them on your Mustang.

Thanks David, it was not installed yet :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts