Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing an SSBC disc kit to a '66 convertible Mustang and have clearance problems between the spoke portion of the wheel center and the outer proflile of the caliper body. The car has Scott Drake Chrome '66 styled steel wheels in 14"x6". Although SSBC recomends 14x7" as minimum wheel size for this kit, I imagine that they are addressing clearance between the caliper and the inner diameter of the rim (hoop).

I measured from the rotor face to the outside of the caliper body on both SSBC and OEM. The SSBC is .142" wider, but even the stock caliper body has clearance problems. From my measurement, it would take a .158" spacer to gain a reasonable 1/8" clearance to the back of the wheel center and then for the SSBC it would require a .300" spacer for 1/8" clearance. To round these off to nearest fraction size the stock caliper needs a 3/16" spacer and the SSBC needs a 5/16".

I have 4 questions

Did the factory offer chrome styled steel wheels with disc brakes in 1965-66 and what was the minimum wheel size to get this package.

-The rotor's stud face contacts the wheel center and therefore spaces the caliper from the backsides of the wheel center, the same distance whether a 6" or 7" rim is welded to it.........or am I wrong? Are the same wheel centers used, or do they use different ones from one wheel size to the next?

Is this a dilema of aftermarket wheels not replicating OEM dimensions properly? It can't be the caliper, because I am checking with an OEM caliper.

Were the faces of the rotor where the studs protrude thicker and therefore spacing the wheels further ouboard? They would have to be 3/16" thicker to get 1/8" clearance between the caliper and wheel. What kind of clearance did the factory have between the outside of the caliper body and the inner spoke area of the rim, is my 1/8" safety margin more than they used?

These are the only things that make sense to me at this point.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheFabFord on 5/6/05 2:28pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheFabFord on 5/6/05 2:29pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheFabFord on 5/6/05 2:29pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheFabFord on 5/6/05 2:31pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheFabFord on 5/6/05 2:32pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheFabFord on 5/6/05 2:33pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheFabFord on 5/6/05 2:34pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheFabFord on 5/6/05 2:35pm ]</font>

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just finished converting my 66 Mustang to stock front disc brakes. I got OEM replacment rotors and calipers (67 style with 7/16 line input) from Autozone. I use 67 Styled Steel wheels made by ProProducts. The 67's are a half inch wider then the 66's, I think 5.5" compared to 5". I have no clearance problems with this setup.

·
Subscriber
1,124 Posts
It looks like you've made a considerable investment in improving the brakes on your ride. That's good! Sorry you're having such a head-ache with the wheels. I'm no expert, but I recall something that sounded like, "You can't use 14" styled steel wheels with SSBC disc brakes." Now, I don't recall the source of that info...that's just what I've been carrying around in my head. I can't tell you anything about factory clearances, but 1/8" inch sounds good. You'll have to consider where the caliper is going to go as the pads wear. What if the pads wear unevenly? Will that affect the clearance at the point you are measuring?

As for running a spacer, there shouldn't be any problem there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On 2005-05-06 07:15, beegshot wrote:
You'll have to consider where the caliper is going to go as the pads wear. What if the pads wear unevenly? Will that affect the clearance at the point you are measuring?
If it were a floating single piston caliper, that could be an issue. But since this is a fixed 4 piston, not a problem.
Thank for replies.
Tom

·
Registered
626 Posts
The 65 and 66 GT both came with factory disc and I've
seen both years with "honeycomb" styled steel wheels.
As a matter of fact, that's the wheel of choice for those
cars as far as the show car weenies are concerned.
Seems to me there might be a slight difference in the
height of the hat on the 1-piece 65/66 rotor. I don't think
that it was a lot, but when combined with something
else, it could be significant. If memory serves, the 1-
piece height was ever so slightly less than on the factory
rotor.
If you combine that with a "thicker" caliper and a
wheel that might have been a tight fit to begin with,
you'd see an issue.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Something else just occurred to me. On the 65/66 factory
disc cars, if you had the plain steel rims w. wheel covers-
those rims have a different design dimension to clear the
Kelsey Hayes calipers. Using the drum brake rims would
cause an interference between the caliper and the inner
face of the rim.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On 2005-05-06 12:15, 66GT289 wrote:
Something else just occurred to me. On the 65/66 factory
disc cars, if you had the plain steel rims w. wheel covers-
those rims have a different design dimension to clear the
Kelsey Hayes calipers. Using the drum brake rims would
cause an interference between the caliper and the inner
face of the rim.
Ahh yeah, I just talked to someone that mentioned that he thought there were two different styled steel wheels depending on whether you had disc or drum. I imagine that if they did this to the plain steel wheels with covers, then they may have with the styled wheels.
Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheFabFord on 5/10/05 12:07pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1 Posts
I disagree with the statement therer would be no problem with running a spacer 1/4" here.?? I tried that and it is sucidal as you only have 3 threads holding the front wheels on with the spacer. Don't use them.
If you value your life must less your vehicle.
Silverfox1937

1 - 8 of 8 Posts