Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
You talking about the whole dash? If so, you'll have to get one out of a donor falcon. If you're talking about the area around the radio, the mustang radio repair plate will work with some modification.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
If you're talking about the complete metal dash, better do some measuring.

·
Registered
581 Posts
How abotu try drawing a picture or using crayons or a camera shot maybe...

the Mustang dash is not the same as the Falcon and I don't think it will fit worth a damn.
It is pretty darn close tho
The only differences that I have seen in them are:

upper dash pad eyebrows----spotwelded to a flat dash
minor contour changes in the dash only around the glove box and the instrument pod.

Too many of the same parts used on the Falcon and the Mustang for them to be too different.

I have considered this very thing,----but that is about as far as I got.

If all of his upper dash is good----should be no problem to reface with a Mustang dash.
This would keep him from having to split the welds at the windshield.

I would put the Mustang face on----but leave the dash pad eyebrows off.

This would look like some sort of weird Falcon dash.

"Hmmm, looks like a Falcon dash---but something just ain't right"

(Those are the coolest modifications----the ones you just cannot put your fingers on)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Too many of the same parts used on the Falcon and the Mustang for them to be too different.
You know, this is not a good argument. Sure, lots of mustang parts interchange with falcons. They're even built on a similar chassis. They are similar, but they are not the same. The mustang chassis is actually narrower than the falcon chassis. The body is very obviously different. You wouldn't try to use a mustang quarter panel on a falcon, would you?

In all seriousness, trying to install a mustang dash in a falcon is something you probably shouldn't attempt unless you're a metal fabricator by trade.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mustang dash is a bit narrower.
It is attached to the inner cowl near the kick panel

The falcon is welded into the door opening.

Got a couple of pics today and I am trying to get them off my phone as I type---might take a while.

The dash proper looks almost identical----the upper pad attachments on the Mustang are just spot welded to the fairly flat upper dash.

D-day---granted not a good argument, but looking at a Mustang almost daily and then going home and looking at the Ranchero---the dash face is 'almost' identical. I think next week or so when I get back from my travels, I may borrow the glove box lid on that Mustang and see if it will work on the Ranchero----not sure, but it might.

Another difference is the Mustang dash is closer to the floor than the Falcon--the driver-passenger sit farther away and lower.

Steering column is longer on the Mustang & protrudes into the cabin a couple (or more) inches than on the Falcon.

Changing that dash would be a lot simpler than say changing a Chevelle dash to Buick----and that is done quite a bit.

Ahhh---pics finally came thru----gonna go out and get a couple from the Falcon now----be back soon.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Got pics

Mustang dash is quite a bit lower----but so is everything else on a Mustang
Glove box opening a lot smaller height wise----but a bit wider than the Falcon

Also---in the middle of the face of the dash, there is an indentation that goes across between the instruments and glove box.
The Falcon does not have this line.

The falcon dash is welded into the door opening---Mustang, No.
Also note how much taller the Falcon is over the Pony-----looks like a couple of inches difference at the belt between cars.

No visible body line under the plastic trim.

Also seems to appear that the Mustang dash just drops down and does not curve under like the Falcon dash does.

With some creative thinking before actions----Mustang dash should go right into a Falcon

1 - 20 of 26 Posts