Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So at my local u pull yard they have a wrecked (sideswiped) mustang that has a five speed, it is behind a 4.6 sohc V8, and I was wondering if I could use that behind an older v8 351W/C or would there need to be a bunch of adapters and such to make things work. the trans is 120 bucks out the door.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Nah - adapters for that one. The T5 was however used in the 3.8L V6 versions and it's bellhousing will bolt to the SBF/W/C crowd. The later V6 T5 has the same torque rating as the older 5.0L version if that's enough for you. Note they moved to electronic-only speed sensing (no speedo gear) after 1999 or so if that's important to you.

David

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah - adapters for that one. The T5 was however used in the 3.8L V6 versions and it's bellhousing will bolt to the SBF/W/C crowd. The later V6 T5 has the same torque rating as the older 5.0L version if that's enough for you. Note they moved to electronic-only speed sensing (no speedo gear) after 1999 or so if that's important to you.

David
alright, thanks!

·
Registered
251 Posts
If it is an early 4.6 casting #s F1AE or F2VE it will bolt to a 5.0 pattern. I'm not sure if those numbers were ever put in to Mustangs or if it was T-bird Lincoln stuff.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
The Mustangs first had F6 modulars. While there may be some F1 and F2 manual trannies - they'd have to be quite rare. It was mostly a Crown Vic/Marquis/Town Car thing. I'm not big into them, but a version of the M5OD series was also used in the T-bird SuperCoupe. A Mazda M5OD/R1/2 from a late '80s to early '90s Econoline or pickup with the 300, 4.2, 5.0, 5.8, 4.6 or 5.4 ('91 or '92 only for the last 2) may be an option. Big though. Fixed bell. Hydraulic only. ZF are even bigger. What's it for?

David

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Mustangs first had F6 modulars. While there may be some F1 and F2 manual trannies - they'd have to be quite rare. It was mostly a Crown Vic/Marquis/Town Car thing. I'm not big into them, but a version of the M5OD series was also used in the T-bird SuperCoupe. A Mazda M5OD/R1/2 from a late '80s to early '90s Econoline or pickup with the 300, 4.2, 5.0, 5.8, 4.6 or 5.4 ('91 or '92 only for the last 2) may be an option. Big though. Fixed bell. Hydraulic only. ZF are even bigger. What's it for?

David
69 or 70 cougar

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
In that case, the M5OD would be a nice option, if you have the room. Given that reduced GVWR, you can run a decent bit of juice through it, unlike in a truck. I have one in my F-150 and though I curse its existence on a truck, I've always felt it would make a nice car trans. Personally though, between that and the TR-3650 in my Mustang, I think the Mazdawg shifts better and much more precisely (I have a Hurst shifter on both). Just be mindful though that truck applications have the shifter in the top cover vs. the tail. You may need to swap to a car tailhousing from a T-Bird, if possible, if going with the truck trans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts