Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here tried to graft a late model mustang, 01-04, front clip to an early model falcon, 60-63? if so, what were the results, was it a success or a failure, and why? haven't started any research on this but figured this would be the best place to get answers cause I am sure you guys have tried almost everything. Just figured by finding a good donor I would have the Mustang front suspension, V-6, AOD and rear-end all in one package. Would love to hear all comments on this idea plus or minus. Thanks

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
It's a good basic idea but you do understand the difference(s) in the front suspension(s)? The FALCON is coil over upper control arm and the MUST is a strut asm. It would require extensive ($$$) apron modification(s) but you would get discs and R&P steering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I am not really sure I understand the differences as I am brand new to truck building. That is why I joined this forum and ask these questions, in hope of taking advantage of the years of experience that is obviously out there.
my main objective is to improve my front and rear suspension and have a drive train that will offer me good MPG with some getty-up.
I am not interested in putting in a v-8, but would like to upgrade my suspension to handle it, since I am making changes I want to make changes that will help me and also improve my resale value when the time comes, thus the reason for upgrading the front end to handle a v-8.
Is a v-6 a good option or should I stay I-6? I believe I read in on of the threads that if I went AOD instaed of c-4 I would have to go to a floor shift instead of a column, is this true?
Any recommendations on how to accomplish my goals would be welcomed and appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Well what Kutlzt was saying is that it's a HUGE undertaking, but it is possible. Second thing is that a Falcon is a car not a truck(in most cases. There is a van called Falcon) you would have to cut your car up a lot to make it fit.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Is this a FALCON (US) van or pickup? They came through with straight axles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually it is a Ranchero, that is why I referred to it as a truck, but everything I have read indicates there is really no difference in the front suspension

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Correct. The RANCHERO is just a modified 2DR wagon.

Are you in the US?

·
Registered
698 Posts
What they are saying is anything is possible with the right skillset and/or lots of money.

Basics, removal of existing front clip and all mounting points for front suspension and steering. removal of all inside fender/shock tower. Probably removal of front sub-frame and constructing a one off new sub frame to align to the new mustang setup. Figuring out where narrow the front suspension on the donar mustang as it is wider than the Falcon. All of which would have to be redone and ensured square. Then mounted to the new sub frame again ensured square or your car will never align or steer right. While all this is do-able. Extensive amount of time and money would be spent.

There is late 70's tech suspension setups called Mustang II type setups that could bring your early 60's car into newer tech. Which the R&D has already been spent on all the How's.. Which could save you lots of money and time.

To be honest the amount of money and time you would throw at such a project you could nearly build a tube type race car and slip the body of the Ranchero over it. Basically your talking about removal of the entire front end and making it from scratch all the while fabricating mounting points for the body (fenders, nose, hood) also engine placement, radiator mounts etc etc..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, Okura Hubby, that was the answer I was looking for. Now what do I do to me present front suspension to improve it? as I stated before not interested in installing a V-8 but if I am making suspension upgrades I would like to do it so when/if I sell this vehicle it is set-up for V-8 to make it more saleable to the next person.

My husband installed a Kimbridge mustang II style IFS on his 53 bel-air and loves it, I don't feel the need to go that far with this project though, the Ranchero is light enough I don't really need the power steering, just want to be able to improve the handling a little bit.

Thought if it didn't take an engineering degree to graft the mustang front clip I would try that, now understand why no one else has done it.

Thanks again for your explanation.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Yes, I am in the Kansas City, MO area. Why do you ask?
Just wondering. You posted no state residence so I thought you might be from down under or something. The tech is a little different between world regions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for pointing that out, need to go back and update my profile so I am not such a mystery woman.
And thanks for everyone's post on my idea didn't know how involved it was, but as I stated before I thought with all the experience with Facons here I could get a pretty firm idea on if this was a doable idea or not, looks like I will take another approach, any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
698 Posts
For a normal driver. There is actually nothing wrong with the existing front suspension design. If you replace worn out parts and upgrade the front to disk brakes you would end up with a nice little car. Back in 2008 that is what I did to my 63 Wagon. I just upgraded the brakes and replaced the steerbox/column. I think the brake kit was $500 w/ everything. This kit is kinda called a Ford Granada kit. As you can guess the components come from a 77'ish Ford Granada. Which will retro fit fairly easily to your car.

There is a few companies who make suspenion upgrade/retrofit kits for the Falcon. OpenTrackerRacing and TotalControlProducts (I have the later, and is was used in the movie sturnt car Elenore mustang in gone in 60 seconds. The later is on a pricer side, but very very tunable. If you are thinking of MAYBE upgrading to no larger than a 302 or 5.0 then this kit probably is the most cost effective.

As for replacing suspension, as I said and you said.. Mustang II front suspension kits exist for Falcons. This is a bit more on the fabrication side of things. You will basically gut your front suspension and mounting points and weild in new ones to your existing subframe. Since your hubby has done this retro fit to a Chevy, I am sure it was a kit. Basically same-same for the Falcon. Crites and others make kits for the Falcons. This is a pricey option but not overally expensive. With many options.. If you are thinking of putting a 351W or larger in the car later than this would be a prefered choice.. Looking back I wish I had went this route as I would like to put some serious engine under the hood like a 427.. But oh well.

When look at end cost of both these paths you will probably be a few thousands more on the Mustang II kit over the Falcon upgraded suspension kits. Labor will probably be more on the Mustang II because your talking weilding and cutting. Only you can tell which way you should go. I am very pleased at how my suspension and brakes work. You might get by, by just replacing worn out parts and be happy. Which you could do for a few hundred dollars.. I guess that would be level 1.. Upgrading to a retrofit suspension/brake setup would be a level 2, and the Mustang II kit would be a Level 3.. I am betting a Level 1 would be fine for you..

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
-FATMAN CONVERSION KIT-

Personally, I think this is a little overkill (for myself) $$$. I like the idea of a strut suspension/rack but have no need for coil-overs and tubular arms.

One would need a donor to actually attempt to fashion his own conversion.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I agree with you about the $$ of the Fatman kit.

Only put it out there to show it has been done.

Also, there is a guy on TFFN Falcon forumn, Screen name "Grandpa"
that is doing a 60's Mustang with a home built strut kit. With late model stuff.
I don't know the deatils of his build though.

Jet

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replys, now we are getting somewhere.
With this Granada kit you mentioned am I upgrading my brakes and hubs to 5 bolt and replacing the existing suspension parts that are worn out? Or am I also upgrading all the suspension parts to the beefier Granada parts?

I saw an early '70's maveric the other day that I think is available, would this maker a good donor front and rear suspension? My rear end was locked up when we got the vehicle and and only after we removed the cover, dug out all the rust and lubed everything up were we able to get it to roll.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Granada parts would normally include, Spindles, bearings, rotors, calipers.
You would still use your UCA and LCA.

You may need different tie rod ends.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
With this Granada kit you mentioned am I upgrading my brakes and hubs to 5 bolt and replacing the existing suspension parts that are worn out? Or am I also upgrading all the suspension parts to the beefier Granada parts?

I saw an early '70's maveric the other day that I think is available, would this maker a good donor front and rear suspension? My rear end was locked up when we got the vehicle and and only after we removed the cover, dug out all the rust and lubed everything up were we able to get it to roll.
As mentioned, the GRANADA KIT is a take-off front disc brake asm used to upgrade earlier models. If the proposed MAVERICK donor has discs, that will be your parts source. If you want a V8 front suspension, you would also have to upgrade that separately.

I think it is 65FALCONlover (?) that has the parts detail for that. If the MAVERICK has an 8" rear asm, that would be a good upgrade also.

Hopefully a few more will post to give you more ideas.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The Maverick comment I made below was in reference to the rear end. If the Maverick is a V8 one then the rear end is a stronger one, and a narrower one than that on the Falcon which will allow beefier tires...

All comments on the Granada kit is spot on. Its in reference to the front disk upgrade.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts