Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to put a Mustang II front suspension on a 68 Fairlane? I was wondering this while I was sitting in class, and it seeems like it would work. It would also free up some space for a big block and some full legnth headers with no problems of clearence. Has anybody seen this setup? Do you think it could work? I saw it on a Falcon a few months ago.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
It wont be easy like it is with the 67/70 Mustangs. The Fairlane has a welded in cross memeber (Mustangs bolt in) so it's major hacking and welding job. Id let profesional's do it. Let me know when you do it, I want one for mine to, and total control products is takin to long with there experimental kit on there 66 Fairlane. There kit should be ready next year.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have it in a 67, not that tough just a million little details if you want PS and PB. Had to make headers because there are none out there that would fit a 514.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I've got one from Rod & Custom Motorsports in my '61 Falcon, and I absolutely love it. You have to be a good welder, have the right equipment, and really, really be good about measuring about 50 times before you weld in the crossmember and A-arm perches, etc. But it is not a technically difficult job, just one requiring great care and planning. I would imagine with a big car like the Fairlane you would want to go with their power steering. Turn at very low speeds like parallel parking, Y-turns, and so on can be a bit tough even in my light weight car. Don't let the whole thing intimidate you. It's very doable and very worthwhile. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Just like Hankj says measure measure measure.
Dont ever get it in your mind that you can do it for then you wont. It is critical to start on a flat level concrete. Tie frame togethere and only cut out areas enough to install the mustang II frame then remove unwanted areas after all welding is down. Lay lines everywhere so you know were old control arms were and center line of spindles to keep wheel base the same. I did mine on my 60 falcon and would do it again too bad you and Dark live so far from me or i would do it for you for a price that is.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Coolfalcon, I wish I lived closer too, man I would love the Mustang II front end in my car. Im a competent welder, but the measuring thing, hummmm. I will tackle it one year when I can afford it, or just might have to make a visit to your place. Its not that far, only 3000 miles or so,lol.

Rick

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am seriously considering doing this. If I am going to have that big block built, I'll go with the suspensions first. I won't be able to do it, but I know a few people who have done Mustang II kits on similar cars, so they should be able to do it on mine.

How much would it cost? rough estimate.

·
Registered
904 Posts
On 2002-05-15 14:22, dark7068 wrote:
It wont be easy like it is with the 67/70 Mustangs. The Fairlane has a welded in cross memeber (Mustangs bolt in) so it's major hacking and welding job.
I thought that the mustangs are weld ins as well??

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I was just thinking of the rack and pinion on the mustang, keeping every thing else. Brain working slower then fingers. TCP has a r&p kit to bolt in, sorry for the confusion.

Rick

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
If any decent rack and pinion ever shows up for my car, Im jumpin on it. I have the same problem as the fairlanes, my crossmember is welded in. Ideally Id like to go with a Mustang 2 setup, but I doubt I'll ever do more than weekend foolin around with the car, so its hard to justify the expense.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looks to me that for the amount of work to install their kit and the money they will want you might as well go the R&C route. Don't let people scare you. You measure from center of ball joint to center of ball joint to find the center then transfer this to the frame rails. Then start cutting. I used a sawsall, and a cut-off wheel. I didn't want to torch anything. I assembled the crossmember and spring perches with clamps and hired a welder to weld them in. The rest I welded myself. It looks like it came from the factory this way. I would definately do it again. Actually I have a 67 Falcon that will get the same front for the next project.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
That set-up you dont remove the towers. It just replaces the steering with r&p. It does seem expensive doesnt it. I would like a complete mustang II suspension on my fairlane, maybe one year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts