Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which suspension is better for a 68 mustang, the mustang II or TCP front suspension? What are the benifits of tubular A arms?
thanks
Kenny

·
Registered
146 Posts
The major benefit of Mustang II is that the shock towers are removed and you get alot more space to install any motor you want (as big as the 429-460's, even a 4.6 DOHC or maybe even the 5.4 DOHC from the Navigator) other benefits are rack and pinion steering and any bolt-ons that the hot rod set enjoys, tubular arms, big ol brakes(Baer, Wilwood, Brembo, Etc) the downside of Mustang II is that it is a weld in affair, and probably should not be done at home unless you are a competent fabricator. TCP's advantage is that the stuff is bolt on and susposedly returns good performance. Disadvantages that I have heard of is that their stuff is too adjustible(I dont quite know this for sure but some road racer types told me this was true). One thing I dont quite like is how exotic their stuff is, hopefully this would not happen but if they went out of business, what would you do if your $1500 rack and pinion setup needed a part? Remember also that the Shelby Mustangs were no slouches in the handling area, companies like Maier Racing, Pro Motorsports, Tony Branda and Cobra Automotive make suspension kits that simply improve on Shelbys modifications. For the ultimate in early Mustang handling check out www.griggsracing.com they make some really cool but really expensive systems for early stangs(GR-350). As for your question about tubular control arms, they in general can be made stronger and lighter than stock stamped or even boxed control arms. I hope this info helps some.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Jimbo, that did help. im leaning toword the mustang II suspension, but im going to check out that website you gave me first.

anyone else have an opinion?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I agree with everything Jimbo said,I just thought I'd add that the total control rack and other products are reversible where as the mustang II front end will change your car forever.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 4/8/02 12:42am ]</font>

·
Registered
237 Posts
unless your trying to compete with newer covettes, mustangs, and even porches in road racing, then i would suggest just getting a good front end kit. The total control kit seems a waste to me. Might as well build a big fancy overpriced brand new house on a outdated questionable foundation. As far as the MII suspension, it was something i was and possibly still am considering for a future project. Getting rid of those shock towers is a sure fix for migraine headaches. However, i recently saw a 65 fastback, while out cruising on a friday night, that had the MII frontend installed. His car was lowered, which is what i would want, but that crossmember was really close to the ground. kinda scary. I dont know why they make those so low. wouldnt want to get that caught on something, especially at high speeds.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wont removing the shock towers weaken the car?

·
Registered
237 Posts
no, i would think the end result of the mustang II suspension would make the front end MUCH stronger and more stable. it uses a huge crossmember that welds inbetween the frame tieing the two sides together and holds the suspension. the whole setup looks a lot better and stronger.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Dave65FB, How much better is the Mustang II performance in corners of over stock?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Here is the mustang II in a 60 falcon that i put in.

60 Falcon Prostreeter
97 f150 tow vehicle
2002 Explore the wifes

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Coolfalcon on 4/10/02 10:24am ]</font>

·
Registered
170 Posts
After a few short cruises with my 67 Fairlane with a Rod & Custom front and 514 I would never go back to the stock early 60's suspension. The rack & pinion is light years ahead of the old stuff. Takes corners nice and flat, granted I wasn't grand prix racing and I haven't had it aligned it yet, we just tape measured it to go for a ride. It's a lot of work and not cheap but I can tell already I like it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How Does the Mustang II suspension feel compared to newer vehicles? Although this may sound stupid, I want it to handle like a newer performance car such as covette, mustang, or porche. So for this application would you consider the Mustang II or Total Control.
Kenny

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are the negitives of the Mustang II suspension besides price?
Kenny

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone honestly think the Mustang II suspension can out perform the TCP front setup?
Kenny

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I don't know if the mustang II front end would benefit handling or not,but if you think of what Shelby did with the first mustangs and then later how the Boss 302s worked in trans am racing,I think the stock front end can be made to handle very well without chopping up your car.Ask the poor Vette and Camaro drivers who went head to head with these cars.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i do as you can see in one of my last posts. i think when comparing the MII tubular front end kit to the Total control tubular front end kit, that the MII will out perform. of course i dont have the money to test both or even one at this point, but kinda like i said in my last post, why bolt something high tech to a pre historic foundation.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone know how much Shelby style or Boss 302 style front suspension go for and especially where I can find more information on these suspensions systems.
thanks
Kenny

1 - 19 of 19 Posts