Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Mustang Questions, Not for the Faint of heart!

3K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  FALCONAROUND 
#1 ·
I found my 66 stang has adjustable rockers on the 200 in it and i was wondering how normal a thing that was....

Also I have a Black block and this usually designates a '64/'65 model, does anyone know the engine paint color change over date?

My ID tag info is dated 05A, but my vin starts with 6... my production # is 00151, could this be the 151st 1966 mustang made?

What's y-all's take on this theory of mine?

Thanks!

FE

P.S. I will Have a damn FIT if nobody can answer my questions....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FALCONAROUND on 8/22/06 1:39pm ]</font>

#4 ·
THis question and the same one on another site has remained unanswered for far too long. I take that to inderstand that nobody knows anything about the 1st gen Mustangs....

Thanks anyway.....

#8 ·
If you car is 151 it is 151st car ORDERED for build. That is to say as the order came in it was assigned a VIN for build. Furthermore, was your car was built in San Jose? (R plant code) there is also a 151st car in Dearborn and Metuchen. The car was not necessarily the 151st built but I'll bet it was pretty near to it. It is highly likely that the motor is a leftover black one from '65. My '67 is 3904 from Dearborn and has a few left over C6# parts on it. It certainly is not odd for mid production changes as old parts get superseded by newer technology and practices. My early '67 had a washer bag and a center fill hole in the Diff, all things that got phased out mid '67 and I believe very late '67's got different steering columns and just to add to confusion the different plants would phase changes in at different times as their stock of old parts would run out and in fact often the different plants may use different parts throughout the entire run. ( Even in the 80's Taurus/Sables had different side mirrors depending on the plant it was built)

Not sure if it helps but I can't give you specifics by year date and plant etc.

You may want to find an MCA member that judges 65/66 cars as they will know all the nuts and bolts and finishes to a certain degree.

Stu

#11 ·
all the 170's and 200' I've had had adjustable rocker arms. Only one of them would have to be adjusted once a year or so because the adj. studs were worn and would turn in the rocker. I would adj. with the car running.

#12 ·
Thanks MC, I thought all the damn 200's were the bolt down type, but I be wrong! Here's my Door tag info!

6RO7T150151
65R/F/22/O5A/72/2/6

THat's what I got. Bone stock all original fomoco 200 black and red inline 6, original to the car....

Gary

#16 ·
OK, I found this!

Apparently mine is the 150 thousandth MUSTANG, but not the 150 thousandth 1966 Mustang! There is no way that anyone in the UNIVERSE can bake out 150K cars in 5 days...

So I am going to assume that the colors of my engine are correct and they will stay that way. Thanks for everyones help and assistance. Especially the two of you who actually said something....

Classic Mustang Decoder Results
Warranty Number: 6R07T150151
Year: 6 1966

Plant: R San Jose, CA

Body Series: 07 2 Door Hardtop

Engine: T 200 1v I6

Unit: 150151 150151

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data
Body: 65R code not found

Color: F Arcadian Blue

Trim: 22 Lt. Blue Crinkle Vinyl and Blue Rosette Vinyl, Standard Interior

Date: 05A January 05, 1966

D.S.O: 72 San Jose

Axle: 2 2.83:1, Conventional

Trans: 6 C4 Automatic

#17 ·
By the way I Ported my intake and exhaust bowls yesterday and port matched my exhaust to my head, which will give me about 5 HP overall! It's gotta man, I mean I couldn't put my index finger into the exhaust bowls or ports before and now I can fit my thumb

FE

#18 ·
No your car is the 50150th Mustang. All Fords have the number one at the beginning of the Consecutive build number. At the 100000th car the number 1 rolls over to a 2. BTW Mercury's start with 5's and Lincolns a 7

Stu

#19 ·
On 2006-08-24 07:16, FALCONAROUND wrote:
By the way I Ported my intake and exhaust bowls yesterday and port matched my exhaust to my head, which will give me about 5 HP overall! It's gotta man, I mean I couldn't put my index finger into the exhaust bowls or ports before and now I can fit my thumb

FE
You have to get the Offenhauser multi carb set up for it now

Stu

#20 ·
I seen one once.... Waaaaaay back in the day. Haven't heard of one for years... Looking for one for my Falcon right now.

The Mustang is a gift to my sister.

My car a '66 apparently came with a black and red engine.....

#21 ·
I got one of those engines. Never ever got a straight answer about it either.

Well, have most of it, anyway.

There for a season, Ford was trying to push up sales of the 200 inch six in the Mustang. It was being advertised as next hottest thing to a V-8. They made special blocks and heads, and few other things. I beleive it was all aimed at European Rally (long distance) racing. My engine currently has what looks to be a standard head, but with the funny earlier valve train on top. The adjustable rocker variety. A former friend of mine located it from a Formula Ford shop, but the correct racing cylinder head, carb. etc, had been sold off years prior. Most everything else fits one another. We got the parts, the vendor shrugged us off, but mentioned we could later on come and read through his official paperwork on the engines, for there were many differences between it and a standard 200 as placed in a Mustang. It was designed to run full throttle for hours at end.

It took me forever to obtain the $$ and gumption to rebuild the engine. When I went back about nine months later on how to adjust the valves, the shop was out of business. I can remember reading the few pages of books he had on the engine, and it was printed in French, Italian and Swedish besides English.

Wm.

#22 ·
There was shortage of V8's for a while in '66 so Ford did the "Six and the Single Girl" campaign to boost sales of I6 cars. Apparently it was quite successful too. I have a picture of a magazine ad for it somewhere. Stu

#23 ·
Hi Falconaround,

There are lots of early Falcons and Mustangs running tri-carb setups. Check us out at FordSix.com.

Most of us run direct mounted Holley two barrels though. A properly jetted 350 makes good power and is still fairly economical. A 500 works nice on a hot six.

An aluminum head has been developed for the Ford six. You can get all the performance parts you need from classicinlines.com.

Keep it inline and keep on sixxing.

Bob

#25 ·
Dacofa... There is NO possible way that Ford could put out Fifty Thousand car's in 5 days!

The car was assembled on January 5th 1966....

Coosbay, 90% of the people running the 2 and 4bbl carbs on the 200's have Aussie heads on them. All of the American 200-6 heads had integral intake manifolds.... Takes a lot of cutting and leveling and junk to make a 2bbl work for no real overt gain because intake porting is still impossible....

FE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FALCONAROUND on 9/2/06 4:08am ]</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.