Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The best thing to do is get your metal guy to build you a step plate. 6"x6" square and this should be used as a base. Tack it in 3 places then measure what you will need for vertical support. Have him then weld the pieces together and there you have your main support mount.
We are currently doing a full moly cage /frame in a 98 Mustang with a twin turboed 514. Owner wants to go fast, be safe and be street legal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry, I was testing my picture. Didn't mean to post an empty posting...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jcm3 on 3/1/03 7:01am ]</font>

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Thats about how I did the first one. I take the plate & weld 1 side & use a torch to heat & bend them now. I have a Wolfe coming for the next one, all notched & ready to weld...

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Hopefully I get to install my new one next weekend.
Also, hopefully I"ll be able to have the welder utilize pretty much the OLD roll bar mounts.......hopefully.....

Good luck, Chilly. I know you can do it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I used an Art Morrision bar in the 85GT. Had to notch the tubes a bit. Plasma cutter worked great! The plates went down onto the floor with minor contouring. One trick I learned was to tack the rear supports to the main hoop, then break the main hoop tacks at the floor. Tilt the hoop and the rear supports forward and complete the welding of the supports. This way its easy to get 100% around the tubing.
I also made two brackets that tied the bar into the whole roof of the car. Since the stock harness is gone, I made the brackets coming off of the side of the main hoop and into the bolt hole for the shoulder belt. This really stiffend up the car. Very easy to make from 3/32 plate. Hope this helps ya Chilly.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Per the NHRA rule book, the bar must attach with 6in.square 1/8 in. thick plates top and bottom with 4 3/8 bolts. Or the top plates must be welded to the rocker sill. Page 203.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 85Mike on 3/2/03 3:59am ]</font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts