Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a way to straighten a 1965 Mustang 3-speed shift handle without messing up the chrome. Well, I am assuming that if you heat it, it would ruin the chrome, but I don't know. It is to low when in 1st or 3rd, and hits my console.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
It would be heated and bent or re-drilled down low where you can't see it under the boot. My first preference however, is to ditch the heat and just cut it almost all the way through from rear to front just above the attachment point with an angle grinder and thin blade or similar, then bend forward and weld in-place. A wet rag wrapped around the upper shaft will prevent heat coloring where you can see it. Be sure to fit it up before welding to verify it both clears the console and doesn't let your knuckles bang the dash. Ask me how I figured that out...

David

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It would be heated and bent or re-drilled down low where you can't see it under the boot. My first preference however, is to ditch the heat and just cut it almost all the way through from rear to front just above the attachment point with an angle grinder and thin blade or similar, then bend forward and weld in-place. A wet rag wrapped around the upper shaft will prevent heat coloring where you can see it. Be sure to fit it up before welding to verify it both clears the console and doesn't let your knuckles bang the dash. Ask me how I figured that out...

David
Thanks David,
I like the cut & bend forward idea. I can cut it and see how it looks, then pull it out and take it to my welding buddy. Man, I wish I had a welder.
Charles

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
MyPoppy - if you mess it up, i have 2 or 3 T-handles around.
Which brings up a question - the 2 - T handles i can find right now, are identical except, one of em is quite a bit larger?
Diff. years?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MyPoppy - if you mess it up, i have 2 or 3 T-handles around.
Which brings up a question - the 2 - T handles i can find right now, are identical except, one of em is quite a bit larger?
Diff. years?
Will those fit a 1965 Mustang 3-speed 3.03 Toploader? I didn't mess it up, but I really don't like it. I wish it was straighter in the middle.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Will those fit a 1965 Mustang 3-speed 3.03 Toploader? I didn't mess it up, but I really don't like it. I wish it was straighter in the middle.
I don't know if it will bend the same as the 3 speed handle, but I was easily able to take some of the curve out of a 4 speed shaft in a large vise using a couple of 1x4's for protection and support. I put the bend into the center of the jaws crosswise and simply tightened the vise to make it straighter.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cut the stick, about 2/3 of the way through, under the boot, bent it the way I wanted it and had it welded. I also did a little modifying on my console. everything is good now. Thanks

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
think i woulda ditched the funky looking truck series JC Whitney console.... first thought ya were talking about some sort of factory console... But thats just me and M2C...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
think i woulda ditched the funky looking truck series JC Whitney console.... first thought ya were talking about some sort of factory console... But thats just me and M2C...

Well, I really hate it that you don't like the console. I'm sure you could have done a better job, but it's not a J.C. Whitney console. It was custom made by my wife and I to match the door panels and kick panels, but I'm sure you don't like them either. Anyway, thanks for the insult. I'm sure you impressed all your friends.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I like your console, been planning on building one for years now, just haven't. I have the original one which is pretty shabby and useless.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts