Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my first post but I hope I will be able to contribute a lot to this forum.

Friend owns a junkyard and I picked up my Galaxie for next to nothing. The car was in very good shape to have been in the junkyard. No missing trim, only one dent that is not major and generally just more problems from the elements and a few engine parts missing.

OK....now to the pics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

After some catching up with my friend as I have been overseas over ten years and just moved back.......

He sold it to me for $200 including dropping it off in my garage.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
very happy to see another one saved from the typical fate :)

one thing I got to bring up though, hope its not the case, but probably 95% odds it will be: just to know up front what you might be getting into, take a hammer and whack the bottom of the frame, especially under the front doors, the front and rear torque boxes, and lower part of rear aches...
if you knock a few holes, all is not lost, but at least you will know early about the extent of work you might be looking at.
the problem with the frames on these cars was the 'drains' were tiny, and the holes in the sides/tops were big... splash/road grime built up inside the uncoated frames, and once they clogged up(often they were failing by 5 yrs of age) the moist dirt just sits there doing what steel loves...converting back to iron oxide. Ive never seen one that had sat for any length of time that wasnt ate thru from the inside-out, unless it was a desert car that basically lived in a area with such low humidity that even the inside of the frame would bake dry...90% of the country this wont be the case, and if in a area that ever exposed it to salt even once, odds are not good for it having survived intact... by the moss on the outside, and low to the ground look of sitting on low tires, honestly I'd be surprised if there isnt holes already in the front torque boxes/rails- they usually go there first.

sorry, not trying to knock anyones project, I REALLY love to see anything old resurrected, and bet with a little elbow grease that car will be at least looking pretty good in no time- just wanted to point out a common pitfall that too often comes as a shock, and can cause someone to give up... dont give up, just might be a little more work than anticipated, but entirely doable, either by sectioning or getting a desert frame... looking back, wish I woulda got the desert frame as it woulda saved a lot of time and only cost a little more- way less if figuring even minimum wage in for all the hours put into ours :) a desert frame often needs just flipped over/beat on, rinsed, etched,coated inside(I'd definitely add some generous bottom holes for flushing) and it will outlast anything else on the road.

best thing about resurrecting one of these old cars is the sense of pride you feel when finally able to turn the key and head down the road...very few remain, fewer every year...seeing one with a second chance- especially coming OUT of a scrapyard- just makes my day :)

heres a link to lots of pictures of underside details, might show you some of the areas to watch for that were bad on our 65 4 door... ours was more than a little daunting at first, but once getting going, progressed pretty quick... it was my friend/neighbor's 'baby' and he had no idea how bad it actually was underneath, just 'had to do it' for him mostly, but the old gal has grown on me a lot, here its still on the road 13 yrs after we first took it in... https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157634932178345

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very happy to see another one saved from the typical fate :)

one thing I got to bring up though, hope its not the case, but probably 95% odds it will be: just to know up front what you might be getting into, take a hammer and whack the bottom of the frame, especially under the front doors, the front and rear torque boxes, and lower part of rear aches...
if you knock a few holes, all is not lost, but at least you will know early about the extent of work you might be looking at.
the problem with the frames on these cars was the 'drains' were tiny, and the holes in the sides/tops were big... splash/road grime built up inside the uncoated frames, and once they clogged up(often they were failing by 5 yrs of age) the moist dirt just sits there doing what steel loves...converting back to iron oxide. Ive never seen one that had sat for any length of time that wasnt ate thru from the inside-out, unless it was a desert car that basically lived in a area with such low humidity that even the inside of the frame would bake dry...90% of the country this wont be the case, and if in a area that ever exposed it to salt even once, odds are not good for it having survived intact... by the moss on the outside, and low to the ground look of sitting on low tires, honestly I'd be surprised if there isnt holes already in the front torque boxes/rails- they usually go there first.

sorry, not trying to knock anyones project, I REALLY love to see anything old resurrected, and bet with a little elbow grease that car will be at least looking pretty good in no time- just wanted to point out a common pitfall that too often comes as a shock, and can cause someone to give up... dont give up, just might be a little more work than anticipated, but entirely doable, either by sectioning or getting a desert frame... looking back, wish I woulda got the desert frame as it woulda saved a lot of time and only cost a little more- way less if figuring even minimum wage in for all the hours put into ours :) a desert frame often needs just flipped over/beat on, rinsed, etched,coated inside(I'd definitely add some generous bottom holes for flushing) and it will outlast anything else on the road.

best thing about resurrecting one of these old cars is the sense of pride you feel when finally able to turn the key and head down the road...very few remain, fewer every year...seeing one with a second chance- especially coming OUT of a scrapyard- just makes my day :)

heres a link to lots of pictures of underside details, might show you some of the areas to watch for that were bad on our 65 4 door... ours was more than a little daunting at first, but once getting going, progressed pretty quick... it was my friend/neighbor's 'baby' and he had no idea how bad it actually was underneath, just 'had to do it' for him mostly, but the old gal has grown on me a lot, here its still on the road 13 yrs after we first took it in... https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157634932178345

Thanks for the tips and what to look for. I saw your reply and RAN outside to check it out. It's really in surprising good shape. I hit it in several places (really hard) and no holes. Couldn't see more than surface rust either. Body is getting pulled and I have a few more"ambitious" ideas for this rebuild.

Wife is calling me in to eat so I will post pics later.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definately needed to straighten up here.

First thing I did was put my compressor in the closet and attach my air line to the wall outside the closet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I also took a table router and mounted it directly to my new counter. I do a lot of stereo installs so having the router mounted here will be very convenient. It's a plunge style so I can adjust it from the bottom very easily.

More to come.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So I did a little work after eating. This engine is toast but I wasn't going to reuse it anyways. Getting a little closer to pulling this body.

Ha Ha......man was that bad.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I really like to see the enthusiasm with these Galaxie's. I started mine recently too and will doing my own thread soon as well.

I'm doing a frame off on my 66 fastback. I really enjoy the whole process.

It will take time and a lot of denaro's to complete depending on your vision.

Congrats on the purchase and keep us updated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got some more done today....stripped the entire interior.

Only 2 holes rusted in the floorpans. Everything is going along really well so far.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
man... only a couple days with the galaxie and your progress is making ME tired :)

nice job on the work area- I had made very similar shelves at my old house, but ran a stud across the floor so I could store wheels/tires without them rolling out... in hindsight it looked ugly with the 'tire rack' under there compared to your storage setup.
Glad to hear you are already looking to pull the body and really happy to hear you got a solid frame to start with- if you can hammer on it, any little problem areas that might appear can surely be patched up... ours was so far gone I could only use the front 3' and the rear crossmember- didnt need a hammer to check mine, you could pull handfuls out of it :)

excellent progress in record time- man, I wish I had some ambition...youre making me feel guilty- thanks, might get me off my butt and out in the garage :)
Over the weekend we went to the Summit track, got one LOUSY run in, in 3 hours, new tires hooked a lot better than the old ones, near stalled it, only ran a 14.9 @ 96- worst run my 06 mustang ever made... anyways, did a water pump/timing belt on the kid's ranger, and AC clutch coil/bearing on our mercury- locked up in the driveway slowing down after a 1.5 hour highway run- pulley was near red hot, soon as it went to idle it locked and started smoking the belt- perfect timing :) anyways, that was the most 'car stuff' Ive done in a year... I need to clean up my garage...its 40x40, and you have more workspace than I do right now! keep up the good work, look forward to seeing another one brought back to the road- I think its really cool especially saving one out of a 'yard... good job!
tim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts