Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've had the car for about 8 months. I haven't really done anything to the vehicle besides drive it. It didn't need anything to be a driver besides fuel, but there were and are several area's that I will have to address and update to 1)make the car mine and 2) make it better.

For starters here is my baby.

Red on black 1967 Ford Fairlane 500. Car was originally a 289 with a 3 on the tree, still has the clutch pedal in the vehicle (it will either come out soon or be utilized for a top loader later still undecided). Currently the my baby has a 429 mated to a C6 with cast block, cast heads, aluminum Edlebrock Performer RPM intake manifold, Edlebrock carb, a Moroso air cleaner, champion wires and bosch platium plugs. Car has power steering, massive transmission cooler up in front, electric push and pull fans, and a B&M speed shift floor shifter. Currently the turn signals don't work so watch for the finger.

Here are some more pictures of my baby.

So as you can see by some of the pictures the previous owner decided he was going to make this a car with a major audio system. then not include that in the sale but rather leave me with some major holes to fill, thanks. I'm currently attempting to make some new door panels that will be custom to the car. Those will show up here later with some project pictures of all of the parts. I guess that's it for now I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Love those cars, got a great deal going for it already. Just jump in and after everything you do will make you wana do more. I got 3 66s , ome is wearing me out . Finally getting to fun part.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if you read on the Fairlane threads you know I made a boo boo by removing my intake manifold distributor without draining the cooling system. Well I took this as a learning experience and gathered some good information from the good people here on FMF and some friends of mine and now have a good plan to fix the issue. Pull the spark plugs drain the oil, turn the crank a few time to push out any fluid that may have gone in the cylinders, replace gaskets, replace oil and filter, replace all removed parts and viola I'm back in business.

I thought though, "while I'm at it why not clean up a bit, I mean that's how this whole project got started was to clean up right?!" So I started with the intake manifold, started removing all the oil build up that was on it from what I'm guess was a bad seal on the head. Once that was completed it was off to my buddy's shop to have him help me with removing the busted bolt on the thermostat housing. That was fun never used a torch to before. He also happened to have a parts washer that was waiting with super hot water and a nice new batch of soap. Dropped the intake in the hot soapy bath for 2 minutes and it came out looking almost new. Score, chalk one up for the freeby column.

Took the intake home and grabbed some paint from the local parts shop, taped off the areas that didn't need painting and shot the intake. I must say I looks way better than I thought it would.

Take a look.

Now comes the fun part of getting all the gaskets and putting it all back together. Before I do that, I'm going to go to my father-in-laws toy shop and use his sand blaster on the valve covers. I tried cleaning them up with my wire brush but that just wasn't happening. So I'm going blast them, try and pound out any of the corner dings I can primer them and then give them a shot of red to match the top of the car. I'll post pics of those as soon as I get them done. Next week should be a pretty good week.

Once the engine is back together and running I'm going to tackle the front floor pans, that's the only spot of rust on the car so I need to address that before I move on to the next project, after all you can still drive a car without carpet, I just don't like to see the actual road beneath my feet when I do it.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Love those cars, got a great deal going for it already. Just jump in and after everything you do will make you wana do more. I got 3 66s , ome is wearing me out . Finally getting to fun part.
That's awesome my father-in-law has a 66 gt 500 hard top with a 289 bored to 305 with a 4 spd. That was the car that inspired me to find 67. I loved driving that car and so does he. He has all kinds of super sweet rides, but when he just wants to get in and go, he gets in the Fairlane. Crazy you'd think he'd want to get in the 440 Super Bee or the '67 427 roadster, but nope, he loves driving the Fairlane.

Don't know, there's just something about a Fairlane, it's not a Mustang and it's not a Galaxy. It's somewhere in between, and it's a great place to be.

When the two of us pull into a show together people always want to know what we're driving and why there are two of them next to each other. It's great.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Well it seems you like it very much. Then the car will like you better to pull it inside shop and put your time back in as it has given you. Thats what it is all about.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I love this car. I know it's not in perfect shape, and I know it's not color scheme that is going win a lot of hearts, but it's mine and that's all that matters. Eventually (like after my daughter graduates from college in 25 years) I will change the color, but probably not too drastically different from where it is now. The colors have grown on me my only complaint with it is that I wish whoever had done it, had done it right, it's like an Earl Sheibb knock off, but it'll work for now.

Thanks again for looking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts