Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got this from my Father in 1994. It has been a work in progress ever since. I use to drag race it when I was in high school, but it has been sitting in garage since 2002. I've been trying to work on it a little lately. I know some will disagree but I'm putting a 4.6l with 5 speed in it. I had a 1996 mustang gt that became the donor. I'm using everything from the mustang that I can, heater box, cruise, etc. I'm converting the front end to coilovers right now but am finding it difficult to get the right ball joints to fit the 71 lower control arm and the 96 spindle. Will update as car progresses.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Making a little progress on the coilovers. This is a nice hole in the cowl that I need to take care of. I also have the mustang heater box in place now. I need to relocate the fresh air inlet to match the new box. It was rusted out anyway so not really any extra work. Coming along slowly, but eventually it will get there.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once I get the coilovers mounted I will clearing the shock towers to make more room. I need more space for the air conditioner lines and the hydroboost brake setup.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided to go with the 96 balljoints. I will be making a sleeve for the ball joints to press into and attaching them to the existing lower control arms. I think I will also be boxing the arms once everything is fitted.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I've got no problem with the Mod motor. Keep going and good you held on to it after HS, and now that you're revisiting it…. even better.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Awesome. I love projects that make some others shake their heads. Keep it up!

David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was doing a little work on the cowl today. It's a little rustier than I had expected. Anyone know where I might be able to find a new or at least a better used one. I know parts for these cars are rare. If not I will be in for some serious metal work. Here are some pics of what I'm dealing with.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I also have both of the new coilovers mounted. Once I made the plate for the balljoints it was as easy as just bolting them in. This is a pic with the fender just sitting on it. I'm not sure I'll leave it that low. I'll decide once it is together and on the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Cool car and cool build. I used to own 71 Cyclone GT so I'm soft ( in the head) about these cars. But I know about cowl rot.

A Torino cowl would be the same if you can find a donour car; Fords are bit more plentiful than Mercs

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I'd just patch what you got, a little tig welding and some inlays it will be fine. Most of what you'll fine isn't going to be that much better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just going to throw this out there. I plan on using the 1996 mustang wiring for this engine swap. I have the pats bypassed with a module for a remote start. I would like to completely disable the pats. Is there anyone out there that knows how this can be done? I've been looking online but have yet to come across a definitive answer. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks I hope it turns out like I envisioned. I got the pedals mounted today. I used part of the firewall from the mustang for added strength and it gave me a pattern to drill the holes for the brake booster. I figured it would be easier with the big hole in the cowl. I started laying out the wiring also. I need to do a little more cutting and then it's time to start repairing all the unwanted holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Did you get this running? Really interested in your opinions on the 4.6L swap as I would like to eventually do a 4.6L or 5.4L but with the auto/overdrive.

Did you have to do anything different with the engine crossmember or the oil pan? And have you retained the stock steering (tie rods etc)? Sorry if I missed it in earlier threads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been really slow on this build. The frame mounts I made out of 3/16 plate and some square tubing. The oil pan I got from a 2000 lincoln continental. It's a front sump. The steering I have out because I'm going with a rack and pinion setup. You could easily use the stock steering. I notched the shock towers to give me room to run the air conditioner lines and just a little extra room. The motor did fit without doing that but there was only about a half inch on either side. You could easily just put a 4.6 in and use a seperate engine controller to get it going. I'm using all the stock stuff from my donor 96 mustang.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts